Brindavan Nagar Main Road, Adambakkam
|Elevation||7 m (23 ft)|
|Time zone||IST (UTC+5:30)|
|Telephone code||44 - 225, 233, 234|
|Lok Sabha constituency||Sriperumbathur|
|Legislative Assembly constituency||Alandur|
Adambakkam is a neighbourhood of Chennai, a city located on the east coast of South India. It is a thickly populated area close to St. Thomas Mount Railway Station. Adambakkam area comes under Velachery taluk and Alandur taluk, Chennai District of Chennai Corporation. Adambakkam is surrounded by areas namely, Alandur, Palavanthangal, Nanganallur, Thalakanancheri, Vanuvampet, Puzhuthivakkam, Velachery and Guindy. Earlier, one part of Adambakkam was under the direct governance of Chennai Corporation. From October 2011 onwards, the entire area was merged with the Chennai Corporation. Upon completion of the MRTS extension line, the neighbourhood will be served by Adambakkam railway station.
Adambakkam is located at  It has an average elevation of 7 metres (23 feet)..
Adambakkam has a population with diverse cultures and religions where Hindus, Muslims and Christians co-exist. Prominent Hindu temples are the famous Pazhandi Amman temple near St.Thomas Mount railway station, Sundara Vinayagar Temple in NGO COLONY, Devi Nagamuthu Mariamman temple in EB Colony, Lord Subramanya temple in Brindavan Nagar, Bhuvaneshwari Amman temple in Andal Nagar and Nandeeswarar temple near St. Thomas Mount railway station. Viswaroopa Sarvamangala Shaneeswara Bhagawan Sannidhi is located inside Devi Nagamuthu Mariamman temple. Prominent Mosque is the Masthan Gori Masjid in Masthan Ghori street. Prominent Church is St. Mark's Catholic Church in Brindavan Nagar.
Adhibhagawan Digambar Jain Temple at Gandhi street, Vanuvampetttai near Adambakkam is a famous Jain temple.
Adambakkam has a fully functional MTC Bus Terminus/Depot at NGO Colony in City Link Road. MTC uses this depot to park, maintain & refuel most of its buses serving nearby areas.
The St. Thomas Mount Railway Station between Alandur and Adambakkam, part of the Chennai suburban railway serves the city's railway commuters. The phase II extension of the elevated Mass Rapid Transit System (MRTS) railway project is progressing at full pace and Adambakkam Station is expected to be built in Medavakkam main road junction near Vanuvampet. St. Thomas Mount subway (underpass)and Thillai Ganga Nagar subway(underpass) connects Adambakkam with GST Road. The Kakkan Bridge connects Ramakrishnapuram and Brindavan Nagar.
Summary of Transport facilities in Adambakkam:
- MTC bus services via Medavakkam Main Road from all major areas to Nanganallur, Ullagaram, Madipakkam, Keelkattalai, Nanmangalam, Kovilambakkam and Medavakkam Koot Road
- MTC bus services via Brindavan Nagar from all major areas to Puzhuthivakkam and AG's Colony
- Beach-Tambaram-Chengalpattu Suburban train service
- MRTS extension from Velachery to Puzhuthivakkam, Adambakkam and St.Thomas Mount (Under construction)
- Metro Rail from Central to St.Thomas Mount via Koyambedu running service via Alandur. Can also switch to Airport at Alandur
Location in context
- "Expanded Chennai Corporationto be divided into 3 regions". The Hindu. 25 November 2011. Retrieved 24 July 2012.
- Falling Rain Genomics, Inc - Adambakkam
- Aloysius Xavier Lopez (18 November 2011). "MRTS to Adambakkam likely by mid-2012". The Hindu. Retrieved 24 July 2012.