Adams Township, Muskingum County, Ohio
|Adams Township, Muskingum County, Ohio|
Location of Adams Township in Muskingum County
|• Total||25.4 sq mi (65.7 km2)|
|• Land||25.1 sq mi (64.9 km2)|
|• Water||0.3 sq mi (0.8 km2)|
|Elevation||1,004 ft (306 m)|
|• Density||20.6/sq mi (8.0/km2)|
|Time zone||Eastern (EST) (UTC-5)|
|• Summer (DST)||EDT (UTC-4)|
|GNIS feature ID||1086713|
Located on the northern edge of the county, it borders the following townships:
- Franklin Township, Coshocton County - north
- Linton Township, Coshocton County - northeast corner
- Monroe Township - east
- Highland Township - southeast corner
- Salem Township - south
- Madison Township - west
- Cass Township - northwest, south of Virginia Township
- Virginia Township, Coshocton County - northwest corner
No municipalities are located in Adams Township.
Name and history
By the 1830s, Adams Township had two mills and a church.
The township is governed by a three-member board of trustees, who are elected in November of odd-numbered years to a four-year term beginning on the following January 1. Two are elected in the year after the presidential election and one is elected in the year before it. There is also an elected township fiscal officer, who serves a four-year term beginning on April 1 of the year after the election, which is held in November of the year before the presidential election. Vacancies in the fiscal officership or on the board of trustees are filled by the remaining trustees.
- "US Board on Geographic Names". United States Geological Survey. 2007-10-25. Retrieved 2008-01-31.
- "American FactFinder". United States Census Bureau. Archived from the original on 2013-09-11. Retrieved 2008-01-31.
- Muskingum County, Ohio — Population by Places Estimates Ohio State University, 2007. Accessed 15 May 2007.
- Everhart, F.J. (1882). 1794. History of Muskingum County, Ohio, with illustrations and biographical sketches of prominent men and pioneers. F.J. Everhart & Co. p. 378.
- "Detailed map of Ohio" (PDF). United States Census Bureau. 2000. Retrieved 2007-02-16.
- Kilbourn, John (1833). The Ohio Gazetteer, Or a Topographical Dictionary. Scott and Wright. p. 68. Retrieved 12 December 2013.
- §503.24, §505.01, and §507.01 of the Ohio Revised Code. Accessed 4/30/2009.