Adamu Garba Talba
|Adamu Garba Talba|
|Senator for Yobe South|
29 May 2007 – May 2011
|Preceded by||Mamman Bello Ali|
|Succeeded by||Alkali Abdulkadir Jajere|
15 August 1952 |
Yobe State, Nigeria
Adamu Garba Talba (born 15 August 1952) was elected Senator for the Yobe South constituency of Yobe State, Nigeria, taking office on 29 May 2007. He is a member of the People's Democratic Party (PDP).
Talba gained a Diploma In Public Administration and entered the Yobe State civil service. He was twice council Chairman of Nangere local Government Council in Yobe State. He was appointed Chairman of the Board Of Management, Federal Medical Centre, Alare, Director of NNDC, Kaduna and was Commissioner Of Health for Yobe State.
As Senator, in September 2008 Talba advocated establishment of a National Desert Commission to tackle desert encroachment in the northern part of the country. He was a vocal critic of Yobe State Governor Ibrahim Geidam, accusing him of squandering money. He called for investigation of contracts awarded to BECCON Nigeria, an N4 billion award for construction of the Kaliyari-Baimari road, N2.3 billion for construction of the Damaturu water works and N1.3 billion for unspecified renovations to secondary schools.
In December 2009, Talba said that the democratic process was working normally, and criticized recent moves by opposition politicians to form a "mega party" in opposition to the PDP. He said they should join the mainstream of either the PDP or the ANPP (All Nigeria Peoples Party). In March 2010 he denied a media report that former Yobe Central Senator Usman Albishir, who had recently decamped from the ANPP to the PDP, would automatically get a ticket from the party to contest the 2011 governorship election. He added that with Albishir's move the ANPP would be history in Yobe.
- "Sen. Adamu Garba Talba". National Assembly of Nigeria. Archived from the original on 2016-03-03. Retrieved 2010-06-07.
- "Desertification: Senator Makes Case for National Commission". ThisDay. 2008-09-15. Retrieved 2010-06-07.[permanent dead link]
- "How Governor Geidam, SSG, squandered 80 billion in ten months". Point Blank News. 2010-02-16. Retrieved 2010-06-07.
- MOHAMMED ABUBAKAR (Dec 1, 2009). "Mega Party Going Nowhere – Talba". Daily Independent. Retrieved 2010-06-07.
- Turaki A. Hassan (30 March 2010). "I Didn't Say Albishir Will Get Automatic Ticket in PDP - Sen. Talba". Daily Trust. Retrieved 2010-06-07.
|This article about a Nigerian politician is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|