Adana Şakirpaşa Airport
|Owner||Republic of Turkey|
|Operator||General Directorate of State Airports (DHMİ)|
|Focus city for||Pegasus Airlines|
|Elevation AMSL||65 ft / 20 m|
Adana Airport or Adana Şakirpaşa Airport (Turkish: Adana Havalimanı) (IATA: ADA, ICAO: LTAF) is an international airport located in Adana, Turkey. The airport serves mainly to the Cilicia region, and in a lesser extent to the provinces surrounding Cilicia, due to its frequent domestic flight schedule and several flights to international destinations. With 5.1 million passengers in 2019, it is the sixth-busiest airport in Turkey. Opened in 1937, Şakirpaşa Airport is the oldest airport in Turkey that is still in public service.
Adana Airport was constructed on a farmland at the Şakirpaşa area, 2.3 km west of the historical city centre. It was opened to service as a civil-military airport in 1937 and became a full civil airport in 1956.
Passenger traffic at Adana Airport is doubled since 2011, hitting a record in 2018 with 5,630,674 passengers. Due to economical downturn in Turkey, total number of passenger dropped for the first time in 10 years in 2019 with 10 percent. There are 436 weekly departures to 23 routes from the airport, connecting the region to 8 destinations in Turkey, 11 in Germany, 3 in the Middle East and one in N.Cyprus. Ercan is the shortest (40 min.), Hamburg is the longest route (4 hours). Route to both airports in İstanbul, is one of the busiest in Turkey, with 201 departures weekly, almost half of the total flights.
Airlines and destinations
|AnadoluJet||Ankara, Ercan, Istanbul–Sabiha Gökçen|
|Corendon Airlines||Seasonal: Cologne/Bonn, Hannover, Münster/Osnabrück, Nuremberg|
|Pegasus Airlines||Antalya, Düsseldorf, Ercan, Istanbul–Sabiha Gökçen, Izmir, Trabzon, Van|
Seasonal: Bodrum, Cologne/Bonn, Dalaman
|SunExpress|| Antalya, Düsseldorf, Frankfurt, Izmir|
Seasonal: Brussels, Cologne/Bonn, Hamburg, Hannover, Münster/Osnabrück, Stuttgart, Vienna
|Turkish Airlines|| Ankara, Istanbul|
Seasonal: Amsterdam, Berlin–Tegel, Düsseldorf, Frankfurt, Hannover, Munich, Stuttgart
|Wings of Lebanon||Beirut|
|Year||Domestic||% change||International||% change||Total||% change|
Local buses/minibuses, coaches, airline shuttles, trains and taxi serve ground transportation to or close to the airport.
Buses and coaches
Adana Metropolitan Municipality local buses #135 and #159, run from the airport to the neighbourhoods of Seyhan, Çukurova and Sarıçam. Bus #159 is a 35-minute interval service that connects airport to the old town, metro (Vilayet station), Central railway station, and routes further north, ending in Kurttepe, close to the lake. Bus #135 is an hourly service to Balcalı (Çukurova University).
Several local buses and minibuses that run east-west on the D400 state road, stop at the Airport intersection, 800 metres north of the airport terminals.
Coach transport to the provinces surrounding Cilicia, run from the Central Coach Terminal, 3.9 km west of the airport entrance. Coach companies' shuttle services from the city centre to the Central Coach Terminal have stops at the Airport Intersection on the D400 state road.
Şakirpaşa railway station is 1.9 kilometres' walking distance to the airport terminals, and it is located one block north of the D400 state road. There are frequent train services to Mersin Central, Tarsus and Adana Central stations, and fewer daily services to eastern stations of Adana; Yüreğir, İncirlik and Ceyhan. Also from the station, there are once daily trips to Osmaniye, İskenderun, İslahiye, Karaman and Niğde.
Accidents and incidents
- 1961 Turkish Airlines Ankara crash
- 1962 Turkish Airlines Taurus Mountains crash
- 7 April 1999 Turkish Airlines Flight 5904
- Official website
- Current weather for LTAF at NOAA/NWS
- Accident history for ADA at Aviation Safety Network
- . DHMI https://web.archive.org/web/20150628154703/http://www.dhmi.gov.tr/istatistik.aspx. Archived from the original (PDF) on 28 June 2015. Retrieved 2 February 2020. Missing or empty
- (in Turkish) Adana Hava Limanı Archived 2007-12-04 at the Wayback Machine at DHMİ (State Airports Authority)
- Airport information for LTAF at World Aero Data. Data current as of October 2006.Source: DAFIF.
- Airport information for LTAF at Great Circle Mapper. Source: DAFIF (effective October 2006).
- (in Turkish) 2019 Passengers Statistics of Airports in Turkey Archived 2015-06-28 at the Wayback Machine at DHMİ (State Airports Authority)
- "Archived copy". Archived from the original (PDF) on 2015-06-28. Retrieved 2020-02-02.CS1 maint: archived copy as title (link)
- "Flights to Izmir". corendonairlines.com.
- Liu, Jim (27 January 2020). "Corendon Airlines S20 Network expansion". routesonline.com.
- "Qatar Airways adds Adana service from Nov 2017". routesonline. Retrieved 13 September 2017.
- Liu, Jim. "SunExpress S20 network additions as of 22OCT19". Routesonline. Retrieved 23 October 2019.
- Liu, Jim (24 December 2019). "SunExpress S20 new routes as of 23DEC19". routesonline.com.
- Liu, Jim (1 June 2020). "Turkish Airlines S20 European network addition as of 29MAY20". Routesonline.
- Liu, Jim. "Turkish Airlines expands Dusseldorf / Munich network in S19". Routesonline. Retrieved 2 April 2019.
- "Statistics". Archived from the original on 2015-06-28. Retrieved 2010-12-12.
- http://www.adana.bel.tr/otobus-saatleri/entry/2563/ Local Bus #159
- http://www.adana.bel.tr/otobus-saatleri/entry/2552/ Local Bus #135
- http://www.tcdd.gov.tr/upload/Files/ContentFiles/2010/bolgesel/mersinadanamersin.htm Adana-Mersin Railway Line