Adar Cyrus Poonawalla
|Residence||Poonawalla Park Pune, India|
|Alma mater||Bishops School (Pune),
St. Edmund’s School,Canterbury Kent (UK),University of Westminster
|Organization||Serum Institute of India|
|Known for||Chief Executive Officer of Serum Institute of India, Horse Racing, Cars|
|Children||Children Cyrus (Son) , Darius (Son)|
Adar Poonawalla (born 14 January 1981) the chief executive officer (CEO) of Serum Institute of India. Founded in 1966 by his father, Dr. Cyrus Poonawalla, it is the world's largest vaccine manufacturer by number of doses produced.
Adar Poonawalla was educated at the Bishops School (Pune), St. Edmund's School, Canterbury Kent (UK) followed by the University of Westminster (UK).
Adar Poonawalla joined Serum Institute in 2001 after graduating from the University of Westminster in London. Then exporting its products to 35 countries, Poonawalla concentrated on the company's international market and getting new products licensed and pre-qualified by the World Health Organization for supply to United Nations Agencies including UNICEF and PAHO. As of 2015, the company exports its products to over 140 countries; 85 percent of its revenues are from overseas.
In 2011, he became the CEO of Serum Institute of India with full control of day-to-day operations of the company. In 2012 he played a major role in the acquisition of Bilthoven Biologicals a Netherlands-based government vaccine manufacturing company. In 2017 he acquired Praha Vaccine Limited in the Czech Republic. Poonawalla is a board member of the GAVI Alliance, the global vaccine alliance.
He initiated and launched in 2014 Serum Institute's oral polio vaccine, which became a bestseller for the company. Every year he plans to launch a new vaccines for public health starting in 2017. In 2014, it was reported that he planned to expand the product portfolio to include vaccines for dengue, flu and cervical cancer.
In 2013, Forbes India named him one of the "Four Scions to Watch Out For".
Adar Poonawalla Clean City Inaugurated At Serum Institute Of India, Pune By CM Fadnavis
Serum Institute eyes European market with new facility; to launch one vaccine a year
Poonawalla's clean initiative to take up water purification, toilets for women
In 2017 : PM nominates Adar Poonawalla as brand ambassador for Swachh Bharat 
In 2016 : He was listed by GQ Magazine as one of th 50 most young Indians and also awarded Philanthropist of the year 2016.
In 2017 : He Got Humanitarian Endeavour Award In Hall Of Fame Awards 2017 
In 2017 : Adar Poonawalla is Indian of the Year in CSR Business Category | CNN-News18 
In 2018 : CM Devendra Fadnavis presents the Business Leader of the Year Award to Adar Poonawala, CEO of The Serum Institute. | ET Edge Maharashtra Achievers Awards 2018 
In 2018 : Adar Poonawalla received the CNBC Asia's award for Corporate Social Responsibility of the year | CNBC-TV18 - India Business Leader Awards 
- Narayan, Adi (15 June 2011). "Billionaire-Led Indian Drugmaker's Vaccine Beats Glaxo in Study". Bloomberg Business. Retrieved 2 September 2015.
- Dangor, Kimi (6 June 2005). "The private tycoons". India Today. Retrieved 2 September 2015.
- "How Cyrus Poonawalla's son, Adar Poonawalla is boldly changing course of the family business". The Economic Times. 11 April 2014. Retrieved 13 August 2015.
- "Serum acquires Dutch firm Bilthoven for over Rs. 550 crore". The Hindu Business Line. 4 July 2012. Retrieved 20 August 2015.
- "Serum Institute of India buys Dutch vaccine maker for $40.3 mn". NDTV Profit. 4 July 2012. Retrieved 20 August 2015.
- "GAVI Alliance Board Members - Adar Poonawalla".
- "Four Scions to Watch Out For". Forbes India Magazine. 26 November 2013. Retrieved 20 August 2015.
- "At Serum Institute, Charles takes update on MMR vaccine". The Indian Express. 11 November 2013. Retrieved 20 August 2015.
- "Prince Charles of Wales with Serum Institute Chairman Dr. Cyrus Poonawalla and Executive Director of the institute Adar Poonawalla". Yahoo News. 10 November 2013. Retrieved 20 August 2015.
- "Prince Charles pats scientists of Serum Institute". Sakal Times. 10 November 2013. Retrieved 20 August 2015.
- "Nothing official about it". DNA Newspaper. 11 November 2013. Retrieved 20 August 2015.
- "I doubt if Sahara is serious about selling properties: Adar Poonawalla" Business Standard". Business Standard. 29 July 2014. Retrieved 20 August 2015.
- "Poonawalla ups offer for Sahara's Grosvenor House but rules out price war" Firspost". Firstpost. 28 July 2014. Retrieved 20 August 2015.
- "Poonawalla group to invest Rs 100cr for clean Pune initiative". Times Of India. 5 Nov 2015. Retrieved 7 Dec 2015.
- "Adar Poonawalla Clean City Inaugurated At Serum Institute Pune By CM Fadnavis". Sakaal Times. Retrieved 8 Jan 2016.
- "Serum Institute eyes European market with new facility; to launch one vaccine a year". The Hindu Business Line. Retrieved 21 July 2016.
- "Poonawala's clean initiative to take up water purification, toilets for women". The Hindu business line. Retrieved 22 July 2016.
- "PM Narendra Modi visits Serum institute, hails clean city movement". The India Express. Retrieved 14 November 2016.
- "PM nominates Adar Poonawala as brand ambassador for Swachh Bharat". Times Of India. Retrieved 6 September 2017.
- "GQ Awards Men Of The Year - Philanthropist". GQ India. Retrieved 27 September 2016.
- "Got Humanitarian Endeavour Award". Biz Asia. Retrieved 28 March 2017.
- "Adar Poonawalla is Indian of the Year in CSR Business Category". CNN News 18. Retrieved 30 November 2017.
- "CM Devendra Fadnavis presents the Business Leader of the Year Award to Adar Poonawala". Femina. Retrieved 27 February 2018.
- "Adar Poonawalla received the CNBC Asia's award for Corporate Social Responsibility of the year". Livemint. Retrieved 7 April 2018.