Addison (CTA Red Line station)
Addison station in 2003
|Address||940 West Addison Street
Chicago, Illinois 60613
|Platforms||1 island platform|
|Opened||June 6, 1900|
|Owned by||Chicago Transit Authority|
|Passengers (2012)||3,019,368 3.3%|
Addison is a Chicago, Illinois station of the Chicago Transit Authority elevated train line popularly called the Chicago 'L'. It is located in the Wrigleyville enclave of the Lakeview neighborhood at 940 West Addison Street with city block coordinates at 3600 North at 940 West. Addison directly serves the Chicago Cubs and Wrigley Field, the city's north side Major League Baseball team and its stadium. The station is served by the Red Line. The station is within the shadow of the historic baseball stadium.
Chicago artist Steve Musgrave has several murals featuring Cubs legends on display at the Addison station, which he adopted as part of the CTA's Adopt-A-Station program in 1998. Four large murals feature Cubs legends Billy Williams, Ferguson Jenkins, "Mr. Cub," Ernie Banks, and Ryne Sandberg. A smaller painting of Harry Carey was added later.
Prior to 2007, southbound afternoon Purple Line Express trains stopped at the station before weekday evening Cubs games, to speed travel times for customers from Evanston, Skokie and Wilmette. In an effort to prevent delays due to Brown Line construction just south of the station, Purple Line Express trains now stop at the nearby Sheridan station instead.
Following Cubs games, this station can become overcrowded and jammed with people trying to get on the trains.
|Northbound express||← Purple Line does not stop here|
|Northbound local||← Red Line toward Howard (Sheridan)|
|Island platform, doors will open on the left|
|Southbound local||→ Red Line toward 95th/Dan Ryan (Belmont) →|
|Southbound express||→ Purple Line does not stop here →|
|G||Street level||Entrance/Exit, station building|
- #22 Clark (Owl Service)
- #152 Addison
- #154 Wrigley Field Express
- #282 Schaumburg-Wrigley Field Express
- #779 Yorktown-Wrigley Field Express
- "Boys Meddle with "L" Track". Chicago Daily Tribune. June 7, 1900. p. 12.
- Red Line Customers Score a Commemorative Poster at Cubs-Sox Crosstown Series. Chicago Transit Authority. 2003-06-19. Retrieved on 2010-07-03.
- Cubs-Sox Crosstown Series - CTA Connections - June 2010 - Chicago Transit Authority. Chicago Transit Authority. 2010-06-01. Retrieved on 2010-07-03.
- CTA to Issue Commemorative Fare Card For Cubs-Sox Crosstown Series. Chicago Transit Authority. 2003-06-02. Retrieved on 2010-07-03.
- CTA Provides Service to Wrigley Field This Baseball Season. Chicago Transit Authority. 2007-04-05. Retrieved on 2007-05-21.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Addison (CTA Red Line).|
- Addison (Howard Line) Station Page at Chicago-'L'.org
- Train schedule (PDF) at CTA official site
- Addison Station Page CTA official site
- Addison Street entrance from Google Maps Street View