|Arizona Diamondbacks – No. 43|
December 27, 1988 |
|Bats: Left||Throws: Right|
|September 4, 2011 for the Chicago White Sox|
(through 2013 season)
|Earned run average||4.17|
Addison Devon Reed (born December 27, 1988) is an American professional baseball pitcher for the Arizona Diamondbacks of Major League Baseball (MLB). He played in MLB for the Chicago White Sox from 2011 through 2013.
Reed was drafted by the Chicago White Sox in the third round of the 2010 Major League Baseball Draft out of San Diego State University. He was named the relief pitcher on Baseball America's 2011 Minor League All Star team.
Chicago White Sox
Reed was called up to the majors for the first time on September 2, 2011. Reed picked up his first career save on May 5, 2012 against the Detroit Tigers pitching one-third of an inning striking out the only batter he faced, Austin Jackson, during a 3-2 White Sox victory. On May 23, 2012, manager Robin Ventura officially named Reed as the team's closer.
Reed played the 2013 season as the team's closer. Reed earned his 50th career save in a game against the Kansas City Royals on June 22, 2013. On August 22, 2013, Reed saved a sixth consecutive game, becoming the first player in Chicago White Sox history to do so, and the first player in the Major Leagues since Éric Gagné did it for the Los Angeles Dodgers in 2003. Reed finished the year going 40-48 in save opportunities, going 5-4 with a 3.79 ERA, striking out 72 in 71.1 innings in 68 appearances.
- White Sox stock up on college pitchers[dead link]
- J.J. Cooper and Matt Eddy (September 16, 2011). "2011 Minor League All-Star Team". Baseball America. Retrieved October 2, 2011.
- Three Knights Players Called Up to Major Leagues
- The Sports Xchange (May 23, 2012). "Reed officially designated as White Sox closer". Yahoo! Sports. Retrieved May 23, 2012.
- "White Sox run streak to six with Gillaspie's HR in 12th". mlb.com. August 23, 2013. Retrieved August 27, 2013.
- "Diamondbacks trade for White Sox closer Addison Reed | HardballTalk". Hardballtalk.nbcsports.com. November 26, 2013. Retrieved December 16, 2013.
- Career statistics and player information from MLB, or ESPN, or Baseball-Reference, or Fangraphs, or The Baseball Cube, or Baseball-Reference (Minors)
- San Diego State Aztecs bio
- Addison Reed on Twitter