Russell with the Cubs in May 2015
Chicago Cubs – No. 22
January 23, 1994 |
|April 21, 2015 for the Chicago Cubs|
(through July 25, 2015)
|Runs batted in||22|
Addison Warren Russell (born January 23, 1994) is an American professional baseball second baseman for the Chicago Cubs of Major League Baseball (MLB). As of 2015, Baseball America listed Russell as the third-best prospect in professional baseball. He made his MLB debut in April 2015.
Russell started his career with the Arizona League Athletics, where he hit .415/488/.717 with six home runs and 29 runs batted in in 26 games. He was then promoted to the Vermont Lake Monsters and hit .340/.386/.509 with one home run in 13 games. He finished the season with the Class-A Burlington Bees, hitting .310/.369/.448 in 16 games. Overall he finished his first season hitting .369/.432/.594 with seven home runs and 45 runs batted in 55 games. In 2012, he was named an Oakland MILB.com organization All-Star, and an AZL post-season All-Star.
Prior to the 2013 season, Russell was the Athletics' best prospect according to Baseball America. He was also named the best prospect in the Arizona League. In 2013, he was named an Oakland MILB.com organization All-Star, a CAL rookie of the year, a CAL post-season All-Star, and a CAL Futures Game selection. Playing for Mesa, he was also named to the AFL All-Prospect Team, and an AFL Rising Star.
On July 4, 2014, Russell, along with pitcher Dan Straily, outfielder Billy McKinney, and a player to be named later, was traded to the Chicago Cubs in exchange for pitcher Jason Hammel and pitcher Jeff Samardzija.
Baseball America named him the #3 prospect in 2015.
On April 21, 2015, Russell was called up to the to the 25-man roster to play second base against the Pittsburgh Pirates. On May 1, 2015, Russell hit his first career home run off of Wily Peralta in a 1-0 victory over the Milwaukee Brewers.
- "A's nab high school infielder Russell at No. 11". Oakland Athletics. Retrieved April 26, 2015.
- A recap of the A's three picks on Day 1 of MLB Draft
- "Addison Russell Stats, Video Highlights, Photos, Bio". Chicago Cubs.
- "Addison Russell, SS, Cubs". Baseball America. Retrieved May 10, 2015.
- "BaseballAmerica.com: Prospects: Rankings: League Top 20 Prospects: 2012 AZL Top 20 Prospects". baseballamerica.com. September 24, 2012. Retrieved April 26, 2015.
- Cubs trade Jeff Samardzija to A's
- A’s acquire Jeff Samardzija, Jason Hammel from Cubs for Addison Russell
- "2015 Top 100 Prospects". Baseball America. February 20, 2015.
- Heyman, Jon (April 20, 2015). "Cubs call up infield prodigy Addison Russell to majors". CBSSPORTS.com. Retrieved April 21, 2015.
- Tayler, Jon (April 20, 2015). "Cubs' future grows brighter with call-up of top prospect Addison Russell". SI.com. Retrieved April 21, 2015.
- Snyder, Matt. "Russell's first career HR lifts Cubs 1-0 over Brewers.". http://www.cbssports.com. CBS Sports. Retrieved May 1, 2015.
- Career statistics and player information from MLB, or Baseball-Reference, or Fangraphs, or The Baseball Cube, or Baseball-Reference (Minors)