Principal Secretary (India)
Principal Secretary ranked officers generally are the administrative heads of departments in a state government.
The post is equivalent to that of Additional Secretary to Government of India. However, office-bearers of the post, can be deputed to Government of India in the rank and post of Joint Secretary to Government of India, because of seniority.
Principal Secretary in State Government
In the state governments, a Principal Secretary ranks above a Secretary but it is below the designations of Additional Chief Secretary and Chief Secretary. Principal Secretaries act as administrative heads of the department they are assigned to.
Principal Secretary to Prime Minister
In Jammu and Kashmir High Court there is a unique creation of Principal Secretary to the Chief Justice, he is of a senior District and Sessions judge rank. He attends matters pertaining to employees of Subordinate Judiciary such as appointments, transfers, promotions and leave. He is also ex officio Secretary of Public Interest Litigation Cell. He also attends all other matters assigned by the Chief Justice. He is overall in charge of chief justice's secretariat.
- "Awanish Kumar Awasthi appointed Principal Secretary to UP Chief Minister". Business Standard. Retrieved 13 April 2017.
- "Yogi Adiyanath seeks former Gorakhpur District Magistrate as Principal Secretary". The Indian Express. Retrieved 13 April 2017.
- "Three more IAS officers from state posted as Joint Secretaries in Modi govt". The Indian Express. 2 April 2015. Retrieved 16 April 2015.
- Handbook Of Public Relations In India. Allied Publishers. 1968. ISBN 9788170233343.
- PM Officers PMO official website.