Adegboyega Folaranmi Adedoyin
Adegboyega Folaranmi Adedoyin (11 September 1922 – 31 January 2014) was a Nigerian-born British high jumper and long jumper, who became the first Nigerian to compete in an Olympics final in 1948.
He won the 1947 AAA Championships in Loughborough in the high jump with a clearance of 1.93 metres. Adedoyin featured in a 1947 newsreel by Pathé News focusing on university sports. In the footage, he is described as 'a good bet to represent Britain at the Olympic Games'.
He went on to compete in the 1948 Summer Olympics, both in the high jump and the long jump. In the high jump, on 30 July, he qualified for the final, as one of 20 competitors who made it past the qualifying round, where a height of 1.87 metres was needed to qualify. The sheer number of competitors in the high jump meant that the event seemed endless. In the final he jumped 1.90 metres on his third attempt to come twelfth – if he had cleared it on his first attempt he could have finished as high as sixth. A day later in the long jump, he qualified by virtue of placing in the top twelve in the qualifying round as less than twelve athletes reached the qualifying distance of 7.20 metres, with only five reaching it in the final. Adedoyin was one of these, placing fifth with a jump of 7.27 metres.
His personal best jumps were 1.969 metres in the high jump (1949) and 7.35 metres in the long jump (1947).
Life after athletics
He died on 31 January 2014.
- "Adegboyega Folaranmi Adedoyin – Nigerian-born British Olympic athlete (1948), died on Friday January 31st 2014 at age 91 – Dead People". www.dead-people.com. Retrieved 2016-06-01.
- "London'll bless Okagbare – Kalu – Vanguard News". Vanguard News. 2012-07-05. Retrieved 13 October 2016.
- "Adegboyega, Prince Adedoyin". Olympics at Sports-Reference.com. Sports Reference LLC. Retrieved 8 April 2013.
- "London'll bless Okagbare – Kalu – Vanguard News". Vanguard News. 2012-07-05. Retrieved 2016-06-01.
- "British Athletics Championships 1945–1959". GBR Athletics. Athletics Weekly. Retrieved 2 February 2014.
- "University Athletic Union Aka Pathe Front Page (1947)". youtube.com.
- London 1948 Results. http://library.la84.org/6oic/OfficialReports/1948/OR1948part2.pdf: LA84 Foundation. 1948. pp. 266–267.
- "Athletics at the 1948 London Summer Games: Men's High Jump". Olympics at Sports-Reference.com. Retrieved 2016-06-01.
- "Athletics at the 1948 London Summer Games: Men's Long Jump". Olympics at Sports-Reference.com. Retrieved 2016-06-01.
- "Fellows Dues" (PDF). npmcn.edu.ng. Retrieved 1 June 2016.
- "Adegboyega Folaranmi Adedoyin's obituary". punchng.com.