Hechavarria with the Miami Marlins
|Miami Marlins – No. 3|
April 15, 1989 |
Santiago de Cuba, Cuba
|August 4, 2012, for the Toronto Blue Jays|
(through August 21, 2016)
|Runs batted in||173|
Early life and defection
He participated in a Pan Am tournament in Mexico in 2006, and played shortstop for the Cuban Junior National team in 2008. In 2009 he defected to Mexico on a boat with 11 others. Agents and other representatives of the Toronto Blue Jays watched him play in workouts in the Dominican Republic, and signed him after his visa paperwork went through in 2010.
Minor League career
On April 13, 2010, Hechavarria signed a 4-year, $10 million contract with the Toronto Blue Jays. He was assigned to extended spring training and first appeared in a game with the Dunedin Blue Jays of the Class A-Advanced Florida State League. On June 30, 2010, Hechevarria was promoted to the Double-A New Hampshire Fisher Cats of the Eastern League, where he recorded a .273 batting average and .303 on-base percentage.
On August 4, 2012, Hechavarria was called up to the Toronto Blue Jays active roster for the first time. Hechavarria had a .312 batting average and had scored 78 runs in 102 games with the Triple-A Las Vegas 51s of the Pacific Coast League (PCL). He appeared in the Triple-A All-Star Game for the PCL.
Major League career
Toronto Blue Jays
Hechavarria played third base in his debut due to Brett Lawrie's oblique strain. Hechavarria finished his debut 0-3 with 2 strikeouts and 1 walk. Hechavarria recorded his first career hit on August 7, against the Tampa Bay Rays. Hechavarria was returned to Las Vegas on August 25, when Yunel Escobar returned to the Jays from paternity leave. Hechevarria was recalled on August 26 when José Bautista and David Cooper were added to the disabled list. Hechavarria hit his first career home run, a solo shot off starter Phil Hughes, in a game against the New York Yankees on August 28, 2012.
|This section needs to be updated. (June 2016)|
On November 19, 2012, Hechavarria was traded to the Miami Marlins along with Henderson Álvarez, Jeff Mathis, Yunel Escobar, Jake Marisnick, Anthony DeSclafani, and Justin Nicolino, in exchange for Mark Buehrle, Josh Johnson, José Reyes, John Buck, and Emilio Bonifacio. On January 29, 2013, Hechavarria was named number 82 on MLB's Top Prospects list. Hechavarria was the Marlins' starting shortstop for the first 14 games of the 2013 season until he was placed on the 15-day disabled list with a sore throwing arm. He was activated from the disabled list on May 2. On May 5, 2013, Hechavarria hit a bases-loaded triple and a grand slam against Roy Halladay of the Philadelphia Phillies.
- Girandola, Chris (23 April 2010). "Hechavarria begins pro journey". MLB.com. Retrieved 26 April 2015.
- Davidi, Shi (20 February 2011). "Hechavarria settles in with Blue Jays". The Canadian Press. Retrieved 26 April 2015.
- Bastian, Jordan (14 April 2010). "Jays complete signing of Hechavarria". MLB.com. Retrieved 2 June 2010.
- "Adeiny Hechavarria Minor League Statistics & History". Baseball-Reference.com. Retrieved August 12, 2012.
- Estes, Ben Hechavarria (August 4, 2012). "Cecil sent down as Jays make flurry of moves". Retrieved August 4, 2012.
- Griffin, Richard (August 4, 2012). "A's beat Blue Jays in 15 innings costing Cecil his rotation spot". Retrieved August 4, 2012.
- Estes, Ben (August 4, 2012). "Hechavarria makes big league debut". MLB.com. Retrieved August 12, 2012.
- Elliott, Ben (August 7, 2012). "Happ loses first Jays start". Toronto Sun. Retrieved August 12, 2012.
- Chisholm, Gregor (August 24, 2012). "Hechavarria, Gose sent down to Triple-A". MLB.com. Retrieved August 25, 2012.
- Chisholm, Gregor (August 25, 2012). "Bautista exits Saturday, placed on disabled list". MLB.com. Retrieved August 26, 2012.
- "Hughes goes seven strong as Yankees down Blue Jays". TSN.ca. August 28, 2012. Retrieved August 28, 2012.
- "MLB approves mega-deal between Blue Jays and Marlins". TSN.ca. November 19, 2012. Retrieved November 19, 2012.
- Fordin, Spencer (January 29, 2013). "Sanchez, Osuna named to Top 100 Prospects list". MLB.com. Retrieved January 30, 2013.
- "Marlins put Hechavarria on 15-day DL". April 18, 2013. Retrieved April 18, 2013.
- "Hechavarria hits grand slam and triple off Halladay as Marlins thrash Phillies". Associated Press. May 6, 2013. Retrieved March 31, 2014.