- Co-operative Building Society of South Australia Limited redirects here.
- Hindmarsh Building Society redirects here.
Adelaide Bank was established on 1 January 1994 from the Co-operative Building Society of South Australia Limited, which was Australia's largest building society as a result of a merger with the Hindmarsh Building Society.
Hindmarsh Building Society
The Hindmarsh Building Society was established in 1877 in Hindmarsh, South Australia on the principles that "home ownership is the cornerstone of a successful community and that owning a home should be possible for everyone".
From 1877 to 1968 it was known as the Hindmarsh Loan, Land, Building and Investment Society, at which time it became known as the Hindmarsh Building Society.
In October 1974 the Hindmarsh Building Society was briefly subject to a "run". The State Premier, Don Dunstan, arrived with a loud-hailer to assure people that their money was safe and that the building society was backed by the state government.
Co-operative Building Society of South Australia Limited
In 1990, the building society's asset base passed the $1 billion mark.
Merger of Hindmarsh and Co-op building societies
In 1992 the Hindmarsh Building Society amalgamated with the Co-operative Building Society of South Australia.
Establishment of Adelaide Bank
Adelaide Bank was established on 1 January 1994 from the Co-operative Building Society of South Australia Limited, which was Australia's largest building society as a result of a merger with the Hindmarsh Building Society in 1992. 
Merger of Adelaide and Bendigo banks
On 9 August 2007, the Adelaide Bank was merged with the Bendigo Bank. On 12 November 2007, ~98% of the Adelaide Bank Ordinary Shareholders voted their support for the merger. The Federal Courts then approved the merger on Friday, 16 November and the implementation date of the merged bank was Friday, 30 November. In March 2008 the merged bank officially changed its name to Bendigo and Adelaide Bank Limited.
- Our History, Adelaide Bank, web.archive.org
- Adelaide Bank Merger Update Archived 21 August 2011 at the Wayback Machine.
- About Us, Bendigo and Adelaide Bank Group
- Hindmarsh Adelaide Building Society ( - 1992), www.gabr.net.au
- Mervyn K Lewis "The Myths of Free Banking", Chapter 23 in "Markets, Unemployment and Economic Policy : Essays in honour of Geoff Harcourt", volume two, Edited by Philip Arestis, Gabriel Palma and Malcolm Sawyer
- Leon Mann; Trevor Nagel; Peter Dowling (September 1975). "A Study of Economic Panic: The "Run" on the Hindmarsh Building Society". Sociometry. 39 (3): 223–235. doi:10.2307/2786515.
- Lauren Ferrone (28 November 2016). "'Malls Balls' a gift to Adelaide". Inside South Australia.
- Spheres, Adelaidia > Things, adelaidia.sa.gov.au
- Co-operative Building Society of South Australia Limited, www.slsa.sa.gov.au
- Bendigo & Adelaide Bank Website, About Us page Archived 13 February 2015 at the Wayback Machine.,
- Organisational design and executive team for merged Bendigo Bank and Adelaide Bank announced, 30 November 2007, ASX release, www.asx.com.au
- Adelaide Bank, web.archive.org
- Anne Fricker (1988) "Cooperation, The History of the Cooperative Building Society of South Australia"
- Rob Linn (1989) "For the benefit of the people : a history of Hindmarsh Adelaide Building Society" (NLA catalogue)
|This article about an Australian corporation or company is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|
|This bank and insurance-related article is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|