Adelaide Parklands Terminal
|Location||Richmond Road, Keswick Terminal|
|Owned by||Great Southern Rail|
|Operated by||Great Southern Rail|
|Platforms||3 (1 side, 1 island)|
|Opened||18 May 1984|
Adelaide Parklands Terminal is the only interstate station in Adelaide, South Australia. It is three kilometres from the city centre, adjacent to the suburb of Keswick and within the southern part of the West Parklands.
The terminal opened on 18 May 1984 as Keswick Terminal. It was developed by Australian National as a dedicated long-haul passenger station, allowing it to vacate the State Transport Authority's Adelaide station.
It was built as a dual gauge station being served by the standard gauge Ghan, Indian Pacific and Trans-Australian to the north and broad gauge Overland to the east. It was also served by regional trains operated by Bluebird and CB railcars. The regional trains had ceased by 1990, while following the conversion of the Adelaide to Melbourne line to standard gauge in 1995, The Overland also became a standard gauge train.
In 1986, the Geographic Names Board approved the name Keswick Terminal, and it is now officially classified as a suburb, in the City of West Torrens. The station was included in the sale of Australian National's passenger operations to Great Southern Rail on 1 November 1997.
Adelaide is the only city in the world where passengers can catch trains on three distinct transcontinental routes, The Ghan to Alice Springs and Darwin, and the Indian Pacific to Sydney and Perth, and The Overland to Melbourne. These trains are all operated by Great Southern Rail.
In June 2008, the station was renamed Adelaide Parklands Terminal. following Stage One of a plan to "improve guest comfort and amenity, traffic and passenger movement, food and retail facilities, image, identity, presentation and sustainability". Tourism Minister Jane Lomax-Smith officially opened the Terminal on 6 August 2008.
- "Goodbye AN Passenger, Hello Great Southern Railway" Railway Digest December 1997 page 7
- The Ghan Great Southern Rail
- The Indian Pacific Archived 22 January 2015 at the Wayback Machine. Great Southern Rail
- The Overland Great Southern Rail
- Home Great Southern Rail
- New name for interstate rail terminal ABC News 5 August 2008
- ATOMIQ Design Group Archived 14 March 2011 at the Wayback Machine., Architects of the Adelaide Parklands Interstate Rail Terminal
- Adelaide Parklands Rail Terminal launched, Jane Lomax-Smith