Adele H. Stamp Student Union
|University of Maryland, College Park campus|
|Adele H. Stamp Student Union|
|Use||Student activities center|
|Location||Central campus on Campus Drive|
|Namesake||Adele H. Stamp|
|Motto||"Center for Campus Life."|
The Adele H. Stamp Student Union, commonly referred to as "Stamp", is the student activity center on the campus of the University of Maryland, College Park. First constructed in 1954 (with additions in 1962 and 1971), the building was renamed in 1983 for Adele H. Stamp, who served as the university's dean of women from 1920 to 1966. Stamp houses nearly all of the university's student organizations, and is considered the "center of campus life," receiving more than 19,000 visitors daily.
Shops in Stamp include the Union Shop, the University Book Center, a mailbox service, called Mailboxes, Etc., and the Terrapin Technology Store, which sells high-tech software and equipment.
A movie theater, named the Hoff Theater, is located in Stamp. First opening in 1975 and renovated in 2002, the Hoff includes a seating capacity of 550, Dolby Digital surround sound, and a concession stand. The TerpZone, located in the Basement Level of Stamp, is an entertainment center that includes a bowling alley, billiard tables, an arcade, and projection screen televisions for viewing sporting events. An art gallery, The Stamp Gallery, prominently presents exhibitions on the first floor of Stamp and controls work throughout the Stamp. Immediately next to Stamp is the Nyumburu Amphitheater, which often features outdoor performances of various sorts.
Dining options in Stamp include a food court that houses a McDonald's, Auntie Anne's, Chick-Fil-A, Panda Express, Saladworks, Sbarro, Sushi by Panda, Moby Dick: House of Kabob, and a Taco Bell. Additionally, a Subway is located in the TerpZone, and the Maryland Food Collective, a not-for-profit, worker-owned business located in the Stamp basement, offers organic, fair-trade food options. The Coffee Bar, located on the first floor of Stamp, brews Starbucks coffee, in addition to selling various soups and sandwiches. A gourmet restaurant, named Adele's, is also located on the first floor of Stamp. Adele's is open from 11:30 - 2:00 for lunch every day with buffet on Friday and 4:30 - 8:30 Monday through Thursday for dinner. During dinner carryout orders can be placed from 4:00 - 6:30. Students may use their dining points to purchase meals at dinner. There is also a small convenience shop, The Union Shop.
The Stamp also offers computer, web, and audio visual support . The technology services department provides support for the many departments at the Stamp. They also provide web hosting and web access to different student organizations. The technology services also provide audio visual support to student events in Stamp. These services include podcasting, media presentations, panel discussions, video editing and spam filters, conferencing, concerts, and more.
The ground floor of Stamp has both a branch of Capital One Bank and a State Employees Credit Union (SECU) ATM. Design and Copy Services provides copy and production services, and legal aid offices for both undergraduate and graduate students are present.
- UM Campus Buildings Index, Stamp Student Union. Retrieved 2010-6-11.
- Stamp Student Union Website, THE STAMP:Center for Campus Life. Archived June 4, 2010, at the Wayback Machine. Retrieved 2010-6-11.
- UMD University Visitors Network, Stamp Student Union. Archived June 16, 2010, at the Wayback Machine. Retrieved 2010-6-18.
- Stamp Student Union Website, Shops and Services:Shops. Archived May 31, 2010, at the Wayback Machine. Retrieved 2010-6-18.
- Stamp Student Union Website, Entertainment, The Hoff Theater:Information. Archived June 4, 2010, at the Wayback Machine. Retrieved 2010-6-11.
- Stamp Student Union Website, Entertainment, The TerpZone:TerpZone Features. Retrieved 2010-6-11.
- Stamp Student Union website, Entertainment, The Stamp Galley. Retrieved 2010-6-11.
- UM Undergraduate Admission website, Student Life:Residence Life. Archived June 10, 2010, at the Wayback Machine. Retrieved 2010-6-16.
- Stamp Student Union website, Dining Options:Foodcourt. Archived May 31, 2010, at the Wayback Machine. Retrieved 2010-6-11.
- Stamp Student Union website, Dining Options:Subway. Retrieved 2010-6-11.
- Maryland Food Collective website Archived March 8, 2012, at the Wayback Machine. Retrieved 2010-6-11.
- Stamp Student Union Website, Shops and Services:Services for Students/Visitors. Archived May 31, 2010, at the Wayback Machine. Retrieved 2010-6-11.