Adelphi Mill in July 2007
|Town or city||Adelphi, Maryland|
|Country||United States of America|
|Client||Issacher and Mahlon Schofield|
|Size||34 acres (14 ha)|
The Adelphi Mill and Storehouse is located on the Northwest Branch of the Anacostia River at 8401 & 8402 Riggs Road in Adelphi, Maryland. It was built in 1796, and originally operated by two brothers, Issacher and Mahlon Schofield. It was given the name "Adelphi" after the original land patent title. The mill was used to both grind grain and to card wool. In the early-19th century, ships came up the Northwest Branch to deliver raw goods and pickup finished materials. In the mid-19th century, the mill was part of the Green Hill estate of George Washington Riggs and renamed Riggs Mill. The mill was operated by the Freeman family until 1916. In the early 1920s, it became part of the Langley Park estate of Leander McCormick-Goodhart. In 1950, Mr. McCormick-Goodhart transferred the mill and surrounding 34 acres (140,000 m2) to the Maryland-National Capital Park and Planning Commission (M-NCPPC). The mill was subsequently restored and reopened in 1954, as a community center with the old machinery and grinding wheels on display. It is also known as the Adelphi Mill Recreation Center, M-NCPPC. Also on this property is the small stone storehouse built into the slope on the opposite side of the road at 8401 Riggs Road."
- "Adelphi Mill is Reopened to the Public," The Washington Post and Times Herald, Dec 6, 1954, pg. 21.
- "Adelphi Mill and Storehouse" (PDF). Maryland-National Capital Park and Planning Commission. Archived from the original (PDF) on 2011-07-16. Retrieved 2008-10-29.
- "Adelphi Mill and Miller's Cottage". Maryland Historical Trust, Inventory of Historic Properties. Archived from the original on 2010-12-30. Retrieved 2010-03-22.
- This article contains information from the Maryland National Capital Park and Planning Commission's page on the Adelphi Mill.
- Arnett, Earl; Dr. Robert J Brugger; Edward C. Papenfuse (1999). Maryland: A New Guide to the Old Line State. Johns Hopkins University Press. p. 44.
rose hill charles county.
- Adelphi Mill, Department of Parks and Recreation, M-NCPPC Prince George's County
- Historic Marker Database, Adelphi Mill marker
- Online Exhibit: Prince George's County Celebrates 300 years of history 1696-1996; Riggs Mill waterwheel photograph, 1912
- M-NCPPC Inventory of Historic Sites (Prince George's County); Adelphi Mill and Storehouse, entry 65-006, p. 36
- Historic American Buildings Survey (HABS) No. MD-93, "Adelphi Mill, Adelphi Mill Recreation Center, State Route 212, Langley Park, Prince George's County, MD", 9 photos
- Riggs Mill Thesis presented to Tau Beta Pi, April 28, 1930, by William Edward Roberts 8 photos and sketch of mill race