|This article needs additional citations for verification. (August 2014) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)|
While the adherer is described as having a mummy-like appearance, it is not technically undead. Instead it is a humanoid covered with loose folds of white skin that is said to secrete an adhesive substance which causes weapons employed against it to be reduced in effectiveness and to stick to its body.
The creature first appeared as the gluey in White Dwarf #7 (June/July 1978). The adherer then appeared in the original first edition Fiend Folio (1981). In a review of the Fiend Folio, Ed Greenwood considered the adherer to be one of the monsters in the book which "seem to have no ecological niche, being merely "gamey" party opponents".
The adherer appeared in the Tome of Horrors (2002) from Necromancer Games. It was also updated for both Pathfinder and the Swords & Wizardry games. An expanded entry for Adherer also appears in Castles & Crusades Classic Monsters the Manual.
- Mentzer, Frank. "Ay pronunseeAY shun gyd" Dragon #93 (TSR, 1985)
- McComb, McCreary, Sutter 2010, p. 3.
- Greenwood, Ed (November 1981). "Flat taste didn't go away". Dragon (review). TSR (55): 6–7, 9.
- Turnbull, Don, ed. Fiend Folio (TSR, 1981)
- Williams, Skip, et al. Monstrous Compendium Fiend Folio Appendix (TSR, 1992)
- Green, Scott; Peterson, Clark (2002). Tome of Horrors. Necromancer Games. p. 4. ISBN 1-58846-112-2.
- Green, Scott; Balsley, Erica (2011). Tome of Horrors Complete, for the Pathfinder Roleplaying Game. Frog God Games. p. 16.
- Green, Scott; Balsley, Erica (2011). Tome of Horrors Complete, for Swords & Wizardry. Frog God Games. p. 14.
- Hartsfield, Kim (2012). Castles & Crusades: Classic Monsters the Manual. Troll Lord Games. p. 23. ISBN 9781936822065.
- Bulmahn, Jason (lead designer). Pathfinder Roleplaying Game Bestiary 3 (Paizo Publishing, 2011)
- McComb, McCreary, Sutter 2010, p. 4–9.
|This Dungeons & Dragons article is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|