Adi Gevins is a San Francisco Bay Area-based radio documentarian, producer, educator, archivist, and creative consultant who has been referred to as the "fairy godmother of community radio".
Gevins has won an Ohio State Award, an American Bar Association Silver Gavel, multiple Golden Reels from the National Federation of Community Broadcasters, and two George Foster Peabody Awards, one with Laurie Garrett for Science Story in 1978, and one with SoundVision for The DNA Files in 2000.
Much of Gevins' work has been done for the Pacifica Radio station KPFA in Berkeley, California, including "One Billion Seconds Later", which won the Ohio State Award and "Me and My Shadow", a documentary about Cointelpro's infiltration of the New Left. Gevins served as executive producer for the celebrated public radio documentary series, "The Bill of Rights Radio Education Project", produced for KPFA - Pacifica Radio.
Gevins holds a master's degree in library and information studies from the University of California at Berkeley.
In 2021, Gevins received the Society of Professional Journalists' Norcal 2020 Excellence in Journalism Unsung Hero Award for her work as protector of the KPFA archives; as well as, her broader archival efforts assists organizations around the country in archiving their own broadcasts.
- "FTV 025 Adi Gevins: The Fairy Godmother of Community Radio". Pacifica Radio Archives. October 13, 2006. Retrieved 3 June 2010.
- Baker, Steve (24 March 2020). "On the Air: Not your everyday idea of a broadcast attorney, only he helped save KVMR 'back in the day'". www.theunion.com. Retrieved 2020-12-18.
- "Bill of Rights radio education project mini-documentaries | Pacifica Radio Archives". www.pacificaradioarchives.org. Retrieved 2020-12-18.
- "Adi Gevins | SoundVision Productions Presents The DNA Files". www.dnafiles.org. Retrieved 2020-12-18.
- Women of Pacifica Radio, North Hollywood, CA: Pacifica Radio Archives, 2008, OCLC 795715589, retrieved 2020-12-18
- "From the Vault: Adi Gevins - The Fairy Godmother of Community Radio | Pacifica Radio Archives". www.pacificaradioarchives.org.
- "Laurie Garrett - Senior Fellow for Global Health" (PDF).
- "From The Vault". Archived from the original on 2008-04-29. Retrieved 2020-12-18.
- "The Emergence of Community Radio in the United States A Historical Examination of the National Federation of Community Broadcasters, 1970 to 1990". Linfield University. Archived from the original on 2014-10-06.
- Abortion, a matter of life and death., Los Angeles: Pacifica Tape Library, 1982, OCLC 10094404, retrieved 2020-12-18
- Me and my shadow: executive producer Tarabu Betserai., North Hollywood, CA: Pacifica Radio Archives, OCLC 70169176, retrieved 2020-12-18
- "SPJ NorCal Honors 2020 Excellence in Journalism Award Winners « SPJ NorCal". Retrieved 2021-03-16.