Adib Shishakly (Arabic: أديب الشيشكلي) is a Syrian businessman, co-founder and vice-CEO of Rabigh Wings Aviation Academy, and the sole distributor of AvGas (aviation gasoline) in the Middle East. Also, he runs other piston engine aircraft sales and maintenance services companies.
A co-founder and member of the Syrian National Council (SNC) in charge of Arab relations, he had been extensively involved in the Syrian opposition long before the revolution started. Early in 2005, he was behind making the flag of independence the symbol of change, calling it "the new old flag of independence." Since then, he has been printing and distributing the flag which became the unifying revolutionary symbol. Most recently, he was selected as vice president of the Syrian National Bloc, and director of international relations of WATAN organization.
Shishakly was born in Syria in 1968 to a prominent military-political family. He is the grandson of the late Adib Shishakli, former Syrian leader then President of Syria, who was assassinated in Brazil in 1964. His father, Ihsan Shishakly, also is a military-political notable and a former high-ranking official in Syria. Suppression by Hafez al-Assad's government, including killing and imprisoning family members, obliged Adib Shishakly to leave to the United States during his early life, dreaming of returning to "a free Syria" one day.
Advocate and Lobbyist
An active lobbyist and advocate for the Syrian opposition's cause, Shishakly has met leaders and policy makers in more than thirty countries, organizing humanitarian support for refugees and internally displaced Syrians. He planned, facilitated, and participated in relevant conferences and consultancy meetings in Turkey, Egypt, Maghreb, GCC and EU countries, and the USA. Several leadership, negotiation and conflict management workshops[which?] are credited to him.
He was once described as a Gandhian philosophy adopter when the uprising bloomed in Syria. He has been among other opposition figures calling for international intervention and for arming the Free Syrian Army as an effective means to end "brutal killings and massacres committed by government troops and Shabiha militias". He was also one of the first to criticize the support of the Assad government by Russia and Iran. He has been interviewed and quoted by mainstream international and pan Arab media.
Shishakly's other political, business and civil activism has included membership of World Affairs Council, Syrian American Club, Greater Houston Partnership, Islamic Society of Greater Houston, American-Arab Anti Discrimination Committee, and The Museum of Fine Arts in Houston, Texas.
- Saudi Gazette. "Taking to the sky in Rabigh". Retrieved 4 February 2015.
- "Adib Shishakly – The Rebel in the Hotel Room: Alia Allana - Kafila". Kafila. Retrieved 4 February 2015.
- "Adib Shishakly & Dan Rather Reports, Behind the Scenes أديب الشيشكلي". YouTube. 27 June 2012. Retrieved 4 February 2015.
- Alia Allana (24 July 2012). "Arab Spring? The season has turned". The Hindu. Chennai, India. Retrieved 4 February 2015.
- "حوار العرب: الثورة السورية وتداعياتها". Retrieved 4 February 2015.
- Syrian Opposition Moves To Elect Leaders https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GNJK2jFlYlk
- "US, partners to push for global sanctions on Assad, but need Russian, Chinese help". Fox News. 5 July 2012. Retrieved 4 February 2015.
- French Foreign Minister Says Concrete Steps Expected at Friends of Syria Meeting in Paris http://wwwwashingtonpost.com/world/europe/french-foreign-minister-says-concrete-steps-expected-at-friends-of-syria-meeting-in-paris/2012/07/05/gJQAl2a9PW_story.html
- سوريا تنتظر معركة الخلاص http://digital.ahram.org.eg/Policy.aspx?Serial=985550
- Syrian Exiles Blame Assad For Fueling Sectarian Killings http://www.bloomberg.com/news/2012-06-15/syrian-exiles-blame-assad-for-fueling-sectarian-killings.html
- طهران تحذر من التدخل الأجنبي في سوريا وتلوح بأن الصراع هناك قد يشمل إسرائيل http://www.aawsat.com/details.asp?section=4&issueno=12305&article=689637&search=%C7%E1%D4%ED%D4%DF%E1%ED&state=true
- Syria Sanctions Proposed By United States, European And Arab States http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2012/07/05/syria-sanctions_n_1652836.html
- المعارضة بين رفض مشاركة إيران في مؤتمر حول سوريا والترحيب بها http://www.aawsat.com/details.asp?section=4&issueno=12262&article=683246&search=%C7%E1%D4%ED%D4%DF%E1%ED&state=true
- المعارضة السورية تعلن الأحد «مجلسا وطنيا» يكون نواة لحكومة سوريا ما بعد الأسد http://www.aawsat.com/details.asp?section=4&issueno=11952&article=636490&search=%C7%E1%D4%ED%D4%DF%E1%ED&state=true
- معارضون سوريون يؤكدون قبولهم الحوار مع الأسد.. للتفاوض حول آلية تسليم السلطة فقط http://www.aawsat.com/details.asp?section=4&issueno=12041&article=650049&search=%C7%E1%D4%ED%D4%DF%E1%ED&state=true
- المعارضة السورية تدعو الجامعة العربية لوقفة مشرفة ورفض شروط الأسد http://www.aawsat.com/details.asp?section=4&issueno=12061&article=653040&search=%C7%E1%D4%ED%D4%DF%E1%ED&state=true
- Syria's opposition finds its voice http://www.aljazeera.com/indepth/features/2011/10/201110416219838871.html
- Divided Syrian opposition to choose new leader http://www.reuters.com/article/2012/05/24/us-syria-opposition-idUSBRE84N05F20120524