This article needs additional citations for verification. (August 2017) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)
|• Body||Adilabad Municipality|
|• Total||35.5 km2 (13.7 sq mi)|
|Elevation||264 m (866 ft)|
|• Rank||9th (in state)|
|• Density||3,300/km2 (8,500/sq mi)|
|• Official||Telugu, Urdu|
|Time zone||UTC+5:30 (IST)|
|Lok Sabha constituency||Adilabad|
Adilabad is a city which serves as the headquarters of Adilabad district, in the Indian state of Telangana. Telugu, Marathi and Urdu are the native languages of Adilabad. Adilabad is famous for its rich cultivation of cotton. Hence, Adilabad is also referred as "White Gold City". It is located about 304 kilometres (189 mi) north of the state capital, Hyderabad, 150 kilometres (93 mi) from Nizamabad and 196 kilometres (122 mi) from Nagpur. Adilabad is called as the "Gateway to South India".
The earlier name of Adilabad was Edlabad during the rule of Qutub Shahis. Adilabad was ruled by many dynasties like the Kakatiyas, Mauryas, Satavahanas, Chalukyas, Qutub Shahis & Asaf Jahis. Adilabad derives its name from the erstwhile ruler, Yusuf Adil Shah.
Telugu is the most spoken language in Adilabad (45% as mother tongue). Due to geographical proximity with Maharashtra, Marathi is also widely spoken and understood (12.5% as mother tongue). Other languages spoken here are Urdu and Gondi.
Adilabad has an average elevation of 264 metres (866 feet). The district shares its boundaries with Nizamabad and Karimnagar districts of Telangana to the south, Asifabad district on the east, with Nanded on the west and Yavatmal and Chandrapur districts of Maharashtra to the north.
The Kuntala Waterfall, rivers like the Godavari, Painganga, etc flow through the district. Mavala lake, built during the Nizam period, is located 6 km south side of Adilabad city. There is a park adjacent to the lake.
As of 2011[update] India census, Adilabad had a population of 117,167. Males constitute 59,448, females are 57,719 and 12,993 of the population are under the age group of 0–6 years. It has an average literacy rate of 43.45% with 45,259 literates. The urban agglomeration population of the city stands at 139383. It includes the population figures of its constituent census town, Dasnapur as 22,216.
TSRTC operates buses from Adilabad to various destinations like Hyderabad, Warangal, Nagpur, Nizamabad, Karimnagar, Khammam, Vijayawada, Guntur, Visakhapatnam, Basara, Nirmal, Mancherial, Banswada, Bhainsa and Chandrapur,
- Komaram Bheem
- Samala Sadasiva (Sahitya Akademi Awards)
- Thakur Anoop Singh (Actor)
- Karingula Pranay (A National Ngo president)
- Adilabad district
- List of cities in Telangana by population
- Syro-Malabar Catholic Eparchy of Adilabad
- "Basic Information of Municipality". Adilabad Municipality. Archived from the original on 3 February 2016. Retrieved 19 September 2015.
- "District Census Handbook – Adilabad" (PDF). Census of India. p. 14,38. Retrieved 19 September 2015.
- "District Codes". Government of Telangana Transport Department. Retrieved 4 September 2014.
- "Cities having population 1 lakh and above, Census 2011" (PDF).
- "Language and mother tongues:Town Level data". Census India.
- "Hyderabad State".
- "Adilabad City Population Census 2011 – Andhra Pradesh".
- "MUE/Mudkhed Junction (4 PFs)". indiarailinfo. Retrieved 3 June 2018.