This article needs additional citations for verification. (August 2010) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)
|• Type||Municipal corporation|
|• Body||Nagar Palika|
|Elevation||27 m (89 ft)|
|• Official||Sindhi, Gujarati, Hindi, Kutchi|
|Time zone||UTC+5:30 (IST)|
|Sex ratio||0.894 ♂/♀|
|Distance from Bhuj||60 kilometres (37 mi)|
|Distance from Ahmedabad||350 kilometres (220 mi)|
Adipur was initially founded as a refugee camp after the partition of India, in 1947, by the government of India. Its administration was passed onto a self-governing body called the Sindhu Resettlement Corporation Ltd (SRC). The person credited with the formation of this settlement was Bhai Pratap Dialdas, who requested land from Mahatma Gandhi for the (mostly Sindhi) immigrants from Sindh, Now West Pakistan. The Maharaja of Kutch, Vijayaraji donated 15,000 acres (61 km2) of land. in Adipur/Gandhidham, which was built on this land. Later the Indian Institute of Sindhology was established at Adipur is a center for advanced studies and research in the fields related to the Sindhi language, literature, art and culture.
The climate here is usual, there is virtually a trifle rainfall in a year in Adipur town. This climate is considered to be BWh according to the Koppen-Geiger classification of climates. The average annual temperature is 26.8c. The average rainfall is 375mm.
Adipur has nine higher education institutions run by Tolani Collegiate Board:
- Tolani Commerce College
- Tolani College of Arts and Science
- Tolani Institute of Management Studies
- Tolani Foundation Gandhidham Polytechnic
- Tolani College of Pharmacy
- Tolani institute of law
- Tolani institute of commerce
- Dada Dukhayal College of Education
- Dr. H. R. Gajwani College of Education
Admissions were traditionally competitive with the rest of the district, but overall, due to the limited infrastructure surrounding the campuses, the populace is mostly local students from Anjar, Gandhidham, Adipur, and other surrounding towns.
Schools in the city include Excelsior Model School, Shri R.P Patel High School, St. Xavier's School, Sadhu Hiranand Navalrai Academy, Maitri Maha Vidyalaya, Modern School ,Mount Carmel School & Twinkle star school
- Maharaja of Kutch on advice of Gandhiji, gave 15000 acres of land to Bhai Pratab, who founded Sindhu Resettlement Corporation Limited to rehabilitate Sindhi Hindus uprooted from their motherland. Archived 2010-01-07 at the Wayback Machine.
- Soutik Biswas (20 April 2010). "India's Chaplin-loving town". BBC News. Archived from the original on 23 April 2010. Retrieved 2010-04-23.