Adisham Church of England Primary School
Adisham shown within Kent
|Area||11.82 km2 (4.56 sq mi)|
|Population||645 (Civil Parish 2011)|
|– density||55/km2 (140/sq mi)|
|OS grid reference|
|District||City of Canterbury|
|Sovereign state||United Kingdom|
|Ambulance||South East Coast|
|EU Parliament||South East England|
The village lies on one of the routes that formed part of the Pilgrims' Way immortalised by Geoffrey Chaucer in his book The Canterbury Tales, and in 2010 was the subject of a villagers' protest when local landowner former banker to the Queen, Timothy Steel, tried to ban walkers from part of the route. After a public enquiry, public rights of way were Council-designated on paths on his land including the path of the former Pilgrims Way.
The village church is dedicated to Holy Innocents and Adisham primary school. There is a village hall.
Adisham's village shop shut down in 2004 and the Bull's Head pub closed in about 2010.
Adisham has two book clubs: Adisham Book Club and Adisham Bookmarks.
The Rector of Adisham in the archdiocese of Canterbury, Master John "The Martyr" Bland. Bland was a Protestant minister during the reign of Queen Mary I, who had him burned at the stake on July 12, 1555, being found guilty of heresy.
In The Dying Days, the last novel of the Doctor Who New Adventures series, The Doctor is portrayed as living near Adisham in the fictional Allen Road, leading the Ice Warriors to attack the village with poison gas.
- Adisham Hall - a monastery in Sri Lanka
- Key Statistics; Quick Statistics: Population Density United Kingdom Census 2011 Office for National Statistics Retrieved 21 November 2013
- Adisham Parish Council website Archived December 10, 2015, at the Wayback Machine.
- http://opendomesday.org/place/TR2254/adisham/ Open Domesday Map: Adisham
- Francis, Edward (January 1891). "Richard Thornden, The Second Bishop of Dover". The Antiquary. 23: 214. Retrieved January 22, 2016.
- "Noteable [sic] Residents". Adisham Parish Council. Archived from the original on 10 December 2015. Retrieved 31 August 2015.
- Parkin, Lance (1997). The Dying Days. Kickapoo Green Builders. ISBN 9780426205043.
- Media related to Adisham at Wikimedia Commons
- Adisham in the Domesday Book
- Kent Archeological Society has the 1841-1901 census returns.
|This Kent location article is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|