Aditya Birla Group
|Founder||Seth Shiv Narayan Birla|
|Headquarters||Mumbai, Maharashtra, India|
|Revenue||US$48.3 billion (2019)|
Number of employees
Aditya Birla Management Corporation Pvt. Ltd., d/b/a Aditya Birla Group, is an Indian multinational conglomerate, headquartered in Worli, Mumbai, Maharashtra, India. It operates in 34 countries with more than 120,000 employees. The group was founded by Seth Shiv Narayan Birla in 1857. The group has interests in viscose staple fibre, metals, cement (largest in India), viscose filament yarn, branded apparel, carbon black, chemicals, fertilisers, insulators, financial services and telecom. The group had a revenue of approximately ₹3,42,930 crore (US$48.3 billion) in 2019.
The Aditya Birla Group is the world's largest producer of Viscose staple fibre. It operates from India, Laos, Thailand, Malaysia and China. It owns the Birla Cellulose brand. Apart from viscose staple fibre, the group also owns acrylic fibre business in Thailand, viscose filament yarn businesses and spinning mills in India and South East Asia. The group has pulp and plantation interests in Canada and Laos. It also owns the Domsjö factory in Sweden which exports viscose. The Swedish government is hoping to negotiate further investments in Sweden, in particular in the hyper-modern future biorefinery in the city of Örnsköldsvik. Its two companies i.e. Aditya Birla Nuvo Ltd and Grasim Bhiwani Textiles Ltd which is a subsidiary of Grasim Industries are in textile business. Grasim Industries was recently placed 154th in a list of the world's best regarded firms compiled by Forbes.
Idea Cellular was started as a joint venture of Aditya Birla Group with AT&T and the Tata Group, which was widely also known as, BATATA (Birla+AT+Tata). After an IPO on the Indian stock markets, Idea Cellular now accounts for a third of the group's market capitalisation. The company is headquartered in Mumbai. On 31 August 2018 Idea Cellular completed its merger with Vodafone India and thereby became largest telecom company in terms of subscribers and revenue, surpassing Airtel.
Aditya Birla Capital
Aditya Birla Capital (ABC) is the umbrella brand for all the financial services business of the Aditya Birla Group. The financial services arm of the group is headed by Ajay Srinivasan. Part of the group are:
- Kumar Mangalam Birla
- Birla family
- Birla Foundation
- Grasim Industries
- Yash Birla Group
- CK Birla Group
- Columbian Chemicals Plant explosion hoax in Centerville, St Mary Parish, Louisiana
- "Aditya Birla Group | Our group | Milestones". Adityabirla.com. Archived from the original on 19 November 2010. Retrieved 19 November 2010.
- "Aditya Birla Chemical Business elevates Santrupt Misra as CEO — Aditya Birla Group". Aditya Birla Group. Retrieved 7 August 2018.
- "Aditya Birla Group | Our Group | Aditya Birla Group Profile". Adityabirla.com. 23 June 2010.
- "!DEA – An !dea can change your life". Ideacellular.com. Archived from the original on 23 November 2010. Retrieved 16 July 2010.
- "Contact." Aditya Birla Group. Retrieved on 6 November 2013. "Aditya Birla Group Headquarters - Aditya Birla Centre, 3rd Floor, S K Ahire Marg, Worli, Mumbai, India"
- "Media | Press releases | Hindalco Industries Ltd. and Novelis Inc. announce an agreement for Hindalco's acquisition of Novelis for nearly US$ 6 billion". Hindalco. 11 February 2007. Retrieved 16 July 2010.
- "Aditya Birla Group – Aditya Birla Group India – Aditya Birla Group Profile – History of Aditya Birla Group". Iloveindia.com. 21 July 2007. Archived from the original on 25 August 2010. Retrieved 16 July 2010.
- captainbono (15 July 2019). "Aditya Birla Group: Big in your Life (A journey from 1857 to 21st century Indian conglomerate conquering India and the World)_IMI New Delhi". InsideIIM. Retrieved 7 May 2020.
- "Best Employers in India 2007". Hewitt Associates Best Employers in India Survey. 13 April 2007. Archived from the original on 14 October 2007. Retrieved 20 September 2007.
- "Birla rejigs fibre, pulp business-Jobs-News By Industry-News-The Economic Times". Economictimes.indiatimes.com. 3 May 2010. Retrieved 16 July 2010.
- "Birla Cellulose Official Website". Birla Cellulose Official Website.
- "Birla Cellulose Fibre Fabric (LIVA Fluid Fashion) Official Website". Birla Cellulose Fibre Fabric (LIVA Fluid Fashion) Official Website.
- "Sven-Erik Bucht på skoglig främjarresa i Indien". News Powered by Cision. Retrieved 24 November 2017.
- "12 Indian firms feature in Forbes' list of world's best companies". hindustantimes.com/. 2 October 2018. Retrieved 3 October 2018.
- "Idea-Vodafone say merger complete, now India's largest telco with 408 million active users". Retrieved 31 August 2018.
- "Aditya Birla Capital". Aditya Birla Capital.
- "Ajay Srinivasan, Aditya Birla Capital Ltd: Profile and Biography". Bloomberg.com. Retrieved 6 September 2020.