Aditya Puri is the Managing Director of HDFC Bank, India's largest private sector bank. He assumed this position in September 1994, making him the longest-serving head of any private bank in the country. India Today magazine ranked him #24th in India's 50 Most powerful people of 2017 list.
Aditya Puri was born in Gurdaspur District(Punjab) and studied at Punjab University, Chandigarh, gaining a bachelor's degree in Commerce. He qualified as a Chartered Accountant with the Institute of Chartered Accountants of India.
He has worked in the banking sector for 40 years, in India and other countries, and became CEO of Citibank, Malaysia in 1992. In September 1994 he returned to India as Managing Director of HDFC Bank.
Awards and honours
- He was the only Indian to feature in Fortune's Businessperson of the Year list.
- Best CEO : Institutional Investor All-Asia Executive Team ranking 2016
- Outstanding Business Leader of the year-CNBC-TV18 India Business Leader Awards (IBLA) 2015-16
- FE Lifetime Achievement Award from Financial Express.
- Barron's World's Top 30 CEOs.
- Best CEO Award - Business Today
- Business Leader of the Year- AIMA Managing India Awards 2015
- World's 30 Best CEOs - Barron's 
- Best CEO- Finance Asia poll on Asia's Best Companies 2015
- Best Executive in India -Asiamoney
- Banker of the Year 2013 -Business Standard
- Best CEO -Institutional Investor
- Top Achiever -Sunday Standard Best Banker Awards
- Best Executive in India -Asia Money 2013Best Banker -FE 
- "Profiles of Directors". HDFC Bank. Retrieved 19 September 2014.
- "HDFC Bank on the Forbes Asia's Fab 50 Companies List". Forbes. 28 August 2013. Retrieved 29 November 2013.
- Raghunathan, Anu (22 July 2015). "HDFC Bank's Aditya Puri Has Created India's Most Valuable Bank". Forbes. Retrieved 9 December 2016.
- "India's 50 powerful people". India Today. April 14, 2017.
- Shukla, Saloni. "Succession plan for HDFC Bank in place, says Aditya Puri". The Economic Times. Retrieved 9 December 2016.
- "CBoP and Times Bank Amalgamation". HDFC Bank. Archived from the original on 13 September 2014. Retrieved 19 September 2014.
- "Ajita Rajendra and HDFC Bank MD Aditya Puri make it to Fortune list". Retrieved 30 Nov 2016.
- "Awards-HDFC Bank official website". Retrieved November 30, 2016.
- "Aditya Puri conferred 'Lifetime Achievement Award' by The Financial Express" (PDF). HDFCBank.com. Retrieved 11 September 2016.
- "HDFC Bank MD Aditya Puri once asked a young manager 'bata laddoo kidhar hai' – Anand Mahindra's interesting anecdote at FE Best Banks Awards". The Financial Express. Retrieved 9 December 2016.
- Gupta, Priya (19 March 2013). "I survived because I am headstrong like my father: Amrita Puri". The Times of India. Retrieved 7 May 2018.