||This biography of a living person needs additional citations for verification. (March 2014) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)|
Srivastava during Press Conference at Le Meridien, Delhi
21 July 1968 |
Allahabad, Uttar Pradesh, India
|Other names||Atul (byname)
Abhijeet (popular character name)
|Known for||Senior Inspector Abhijeet in the TV series, C.I.D.; Badshah Khan in Black Friday|
|Notable work||CID, Black Friday, Gulaal|
|Height||5 ft 10 in (178 cm)|
|Children||2 (Arushi Srivastava, Adwika Srivastava)|
Aditya Srivastava (born on 21st July, 1968 in Allahabad, India) is a theater artist, and, Indian film and television actor. He is best known for his role as Senior Inspector Abhijeet in India's longest-running television police procedural C.I.D.. He has also portrayed pivotal roles in the Bollywood films Satya, Gulaal, Paanch, Black Friday, Kaalo and Dil Se Pooch Kidhar Jana Hai among others.
While pursuing graduation from Allahabad University, Aditya Srivastava did theatre plays at Sangeet Samiti, Civil lines, Allahabad. To hone his skills and pursue a career in acting, he moved to Delhi in 1989 and was involved in mostly theatre work at Sri Ram Center Of Performing Arts. Spotted by Shekhar Kapoor, he got his first break in the movie Bandit Queen, where he played Puttilal. After this he moved to Mumbai in 1995. He did many voice overs for promos and advertisements. He also played pivotal episodic roles in Byomkesh Bakshi, Rishtey and Aahat. Naya Daur, 9 Malabar Hills and Yeh Shaadi Nahi Ho Sakti had him in full-fledged and prominent roles. He took a break from television in 1997 to do films.
He was later offered C.I.D. in 1999, after B.P. Singh noticed him in Satya  for playing Sr.Insp. Khandilkar, after Ashutosh Gowariker left to pursue direction. Although he had played as a criminal in C.I.D. episode "The Case of the Stolen Gun" by then. Initially reluctant, he signed in for just 26 episodes, which however extended later. He, today, is one of the pillars of the show. His character in the show is shown to be serious.
Meanwhile, he also did many films. He played Murgi, a guitarist in Anurag Kashyap's Paanch, which was shot in 2001, never released but got him approval as an actor by the film fraternity when Paanch was shown as the closing film in Osian's Cinefan Festival of Asian and Arab Cinema in 2005. He was offered to play the male lead in Hansal Mehta's Dil Pe Mat Le Yaar but the role was later given to Manoj Bajpayee, leaving him to play another important character in the same movie named Tito, a Dubai returned entrepreneur. He even provided finance for the making of this movie, so kind of co-produced it. His first film as in playing the single male protagonist, "Dil se Pooch Kidhar Jaana Hai", though it was a commercial failure as production house decided to release it sans promotions, fetched him appreciation by critics for his performance. Kaalo is another movie with him in lead. He suffered from a shoulder injury in a bus accident whilst the shoots of Kaalo.
Internationally, he is more known for his work in films like Dil Se.., Mohandas, Dansh, Satya, Matrubhoomi, Black Friday and Gulaal, all of which ran successfully across the International Film Festivals Circuit and had him as critically acclaimed parallel lead. He did many other films and made his presence known in each one of them, as claimed by critics. He prefers non-conventional cinema as it brings depth to his acting, as said by him in an interview.
Aditya Srivastava has also shown his presence in south Indian Cinema playing important roles in movies like Aalwar and Naalai. His first Tamil film was Naalai(2006). He is also among those actors whose names are mentioned in Guinness Book of World Records and for shooting the longest uncut sequence,which was an episode named 'The Inheritance' of his show CID.
A song was recorded for CID episode (aired on 21 January 2012) which was a lullaby sung by Aditya Srivastava and his fellow actors Shivaji Satam and Daya Shetty. Aditya Srivastava, Shivaji Satam, Daya Shetty and Narendra Gupta also appeared in Kaun Banega Crorepati 2014 to raise money for charity.
Born in Allahabad (Uttar Pradesh, India) on 21 July 1968 to Mrs. and Mr. D.N. Srivastava, Aditya Srivastava is the eldest of four siblings(3 brothers and a sister). After completing his preliminary studies in Allahabad, he did his High School/Inter College from MGS Inter College, Sultanpur, Uttar Pradesh as his father, a banker with State Bank of India, got transferred to Sultanpur, back in 1982. He completed his higher studies from Allahabad University before heading to Delhi in 1989 and later on to Mumbai in 1995 for some serious assignments in commercial theatre. While his family is settled in Allahabad, he puts up at Goregaon(E), Mumbai with his wife, Mansi Srivastava, and two daughters, Arushi and Adwika. In an interview to Joginder Tuteja, he stated he initially lived in Andheri when he came to Mumbai and later shifted to Goregaon.
Due to the cult popularity of his character 'Sr.Insp.Abhijeet' in the TV series 'CID',he is informally addressed as Abhijeet by the masses. Atul is his home name.
- 1995 Bandit Queen as Puttilal
- 1996 Sanshodhan as Chunni Singh
- 1998 Hazaar Chaurasi Ki Maa
- 1998 Satya as Inspector Khandilkar
- 1998 Dil Se.. as Terrorist
- 2000 Dil Pe Mat Le Yaar!! as Tito
- 2002 Saathiya as Assistant Commissioner Aditya
- 2003 Matrubhoomi
- 2003 Paanch as Murgi
- 2003 Mudda - The Issue as Harpool Singh
- 2003 Ek Hasina Thi as Advocate Kamlesh Mathur
- 2004 Black Friday as Badshah Khan
- 2004 Lakshya as Lt.Col. Pradeep
- 2004 Deewar as Ejaz
- 2005 Dansh as Dr. John Sanga
- 2006 Darwaaza Bandh Rakho as Inspector
- 2006 Naalai (Tamil film)
- 2006 Dil Se Pooch ... Kidhar Jaana Hai as Avinash Srivastava
- 2007 Aalwar (Tamil film) as inspector
- 2007 Raakh
- 2009 Gulaal as Karan
- 2009 Mohandas as Advocate Harshvardhan Soni
- 2010 Kaalo as Sameer
- 2017 Judwaa 2
- C.I.D. as Senior Inspector Abhijeet
- C.I.D. as Rocky
- C.I.D. as Paresh
- C.I.D Special Bureau as Senior Inspector Abhijeet
- Raat Hone Ko Hai (Lifeline)
- Adaalat (3 episodes)
- Rishtey Maa as Rashid Gul
- Rishtey Highway as Vijay
- Star best seller
- 9 Malabar Hill
- Yeh shaadi nahi ho sakti
- Naya daur
- Saturday Suspense Paheli
- Kahen Kavi Kalidas (Byomkesh Bakshi) as Madhumoy Sur
- Jeena Isi Ka Naam Hai as Shivaji Satam's friend
- Shani Dev
- Shesh Prashna
- Dera (1992–94)
- Taarak Mehta Ka Ooltah Chashmah in episodic appearance as Sr. Inspector Abhijeet
- Kaun Banega Crorepati (Season 8) as celebrity guest (2014)
- The Kapil Sharma Show as celebrity guest (2016)
- "Chasing criminals, cracking cases". Hindustan Times. Archived from the original on 26 August 2012. Retrieved 28 July 2012.
- "Dil Se PoochKidhar Jaana Hai set to release on 15 Dec". Bollywood Hungama. 2006-12-02. Retrieved 2012-12-05.
- "When an accident threatened 'Kaalo' - Bollywood Movie News". indiaglitz.com. Retrieved 2014-11-06.
- "Aditya Shrivastava bio". Retrieved 2012-12-05.
- "Amitabh Bachchan reveals CID team’s funny side on Kaun Banega Crorepati". Times of India. 23 September 2014. Retrieved 6 December 2014.