|Developer(s)||Adium team, with Thijs Alkemade as Lead Developer and Eric Richie as Project Manager, created by Adam Iser|
|Initial release||September 28, 2001|
|Stable release||18.104.22.168 (March 9, 2016[±])|
|Preview release||1.5.11hgr5899 (January 15, 2015[±])|
|Written in||Objective-C, Cocoa|
|Type||Instant messaging client|
|License||GNU General Public License|
Adium is a free and open source instant messaging client for macOS that supports multiple IM networks, including Windows Live Messenger, Yahoo! Messenger, Google Talk, AIM, ICQ and XMPP. It is written using macOS's Cocoa API, and it is released under the GNU General Public License and many other licenses for components that are distributed with Adium.
Adium was created by college student Adam Iser, and the first version, "Adium 1.0", was released in September 2001 and supported only AIM. The version numbers of Adium since then have followed a somewhat unusual pattern. There were several upgrades to Adium 1.0, ending with Adium 1.6.2c.
At this point, the Adium team began a complete rewrite of the Adium code, expanding it into a multiprotocol messaging program. Pidgin's (formerly "Gaim") libpurple (then called "libgaim") library was implemented to add support for IM protocols other than AIM – since then the Adium team has mostly been working on the GUI. The Adium team originally intended to release these changes as "Adium 2.0". However, Adium was eventually renamed to "Adium X" and released at version 0.50, being considered "halfway to a 1.0 product". Adium X 0.88 was the first version compiled as a universal binary, allowing it to run natively on Intel-based Macs.
After version Adium X 0.89.1, however, the team finally decided to change the name back to "Adium", and, as such, "Adium 1.0" was released on February 2, 2007.
Apple Inc. used Adium X 0.89.1's build time in Xcode 2.3 as a benchmark for comparing the performance of the Mac Pro and Power Mac G5 Quad, and Adium 1.2's build time in Xcode 3.0 as a benchmark for comparing the performance of the eight-core Mac Pro and Power Mac G5 Quad.
Adium supports the following protocols:
- XMPP (including Google Talk, Facebook Chat, and LiveJournal services)
- OSCAR (including AIM and ICQ
- Novell GroupWise
- IBM Sametime
- Skype with a plugin
- Skype for Business Server (previously Microsoft Lync Server, Microsoft Office Communications Server) with a plugin
- Telegram with a plugin
- QQ with a plugin
- Steam chat with the "Steam IM" plugin
- NateOn with a plugin
Plugins and customization
Adium makes use of a plugin architecture; many of the program's essential features are actually provided by plugins bundled inside the application package. These plugins include functionality such as file transfer, support for the Growl notifications system, Sparkle for program updates, and support for encrypted messaging with the Off-the-Record Messaging library.
Adium is also highly customizable through the use of resources its developers call "Xtras". The program can be customized by the use of hundreds of third-party Xtras that alter the appearance of emoticons, dock icons, contact list styles, and messages styles. Adium can also be enhanced through the use of different sound sets. AppleScripts can also be utilized to automatically alter behavior in responses to certain triggers.
- "Adium1xChangelog". The Adium Project. Retrieved 2009-03-14.
- "Adium - About". The Adium Project. Retrieved 24 January 2015.
- "History Of Adium". The Adium Project. Retrieved 2009-01-31.
- Cohen, Peter (10 June 2005). "WWDC: Apple Design Award 2005 winners announced". MacWorld. Retrieved 5 September 2016.
- "Mac Pro - Performance: Science and technical computing". Apple Inc. Archived from the original on 28 August 2006. Retrieved 2006-09-20.
- "Mac Pro - Performance: Science and technical computing". Apple Inc. Archived from the original on 17 April 2008. Retrieved 2008-05-10.
- "Secure Messaging Scorecard. Which apps and tools actually keep your messages safe?". Electronic Frontier Foundation. 2014-11-04.
- "Adium/Twitter broken with 1.5.10, but the latest 1.5.11-nightly fixes the problem". trac.adium.im. 2015-03-05.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Adium.|