Adlington (Cheshire) railway station
|Local authority||Cheshire East|
|Number of platforms||2|
|Live arrivals/departures, station information and onward connections
from National Rail Enquiries
|Annual rail passenger usage*|
|Key dates||Opened 24 November 1845|
|National Rail – UK railway stations|
|* Annual estimated passenger usage based on sales of tickets in stated financial year(s) which end or originate at Adlington (Cheshire) from Office of Rail and Road statistics. Methodology may vary year on year.|
|UK Railways portal|
It was manned for many years but is now unstaffed. The station building is privately owned and there is no longer a ticket machine, so passengers must purchase their ticket on the train or at their destination.
Opened by the London and North Western Railway, it became part of the London, Midland and Scottish Railway during the Grouping of 1923. The line then passed on to the London Midland Region of British Railways on nationalisation in 1948. When Sectorisation was introduced, the station was served by Regional Railways until the Privatisation of British Railways.
From 14 December 2008 trains operate on an hourly pattern, terminating at Stoke-on-Trent (southbound) or Manchester Piccadilly (northbound). Some early morning/late night services originate/terminate at Macclesfield.
There are five trains each way on Sundays.
|Preceding station||National Rail||Following station|
- Table 84 National Rail timetable, May 2016
- Butt, R. V. J. (1995). The Directory of Railway Stations: details every public and private passenger station, halt, platform and stopping place, past and present (1st ed.). Sparkford: Patrick Stephens Ltd. ISBN 978-1-85260-508-7. OCLC 60251199.
- Jowett, Alan (2000). Jowett's Nationalised Railway Atlas (1st ed.). Penryn, Cornwall: Atlantic Transport Publishers. ISBN 978-0-906899-99-1. OCLC 228266687.
- Jowett, Alan (March 1989). Jowett's Railway Atlas of Great Britain and Ireland: From Pre-Grouping to the Present Day (1st ed.). Sparkford: Patrick Stephens Ltd. ISBN 978-1-85260-086-0. OCLC 22311137.
- Station on navigable O.S. map
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Adlington (Cheshire) railway station.|