Administration of Ladakh
|Seat of Government||Leh, Kargil|
|Governor||Lt. Governor R. K. Mathur|
|Chief Secretary||Rigzin Sampheal|
|High Court||Jammu and Kashmir High Court|
|Chief Justice||Pankaj Mithal|
The Administration of Ladakh is the governing authority of the Indian union territory of Ladakh and its two districts. The Administration is led by a Lieutenant Governor appointed by the President of India who acts on behalf of the central Government of India. Ladakh does not have an elected legislative assembly. The two districts of Ladakh both elect their own autonomous district council-the Leh Autonomous Hill development council and the Kargil Autonomous Hill development Council, which have competence over a range of domestic affairs.
History of Ladakh
Ladakh became part of the Dominion of India on 26 October 1947 as a region of the State of Jammu and Kashmir. The status of the region was degraded to that of a Revenue and Administrative Division of Jammu and Kashmir in February 2019 and Ladakh became a union territory in its own right on 31 October 2019.
Ladakh is administered as a union territory without a legislative assembly by virtue of Article 240 (2) of the Constitution of India and under the terms of the Jammu and Kashmir Reorganisation Act, 2019. Union territory of Ladakh will be administered by the President acting through a Lieutenant Governor to be appointed by him under Article 239. The President may make regulations for the peace, progress and good government of the Union territory of Ladakh under article 240. The Lieutenant Governor shall be assisted by advisor(s) to be appointed by the Central Government.
Judiciary and law enforcement
Ladakh is under the jurisdiction of the Jammu and Kashmir High Court which sits in Jammu and Srinagar. Law enforcement is the responsibility of the Ladakh Police which is under the authority of the Ministry of Home Affairs of the Government of India.
- Lieutenant Governor of Ladakh - Radha Krishna Mathur
- Advisor to the Lieutenant Governor - Umang Narula
- Commissioner Secretary - Rigzin Sampheal
- Divisional Commissioner - Saugat Biswas
- Director General of Police - S. S. Khandare
- "Article 370 revoked Updates: Jammu & Kashmir is now a Union Territory, Lok Sabha passes bifurcation bill". www.businesstoday.in.
- "लद्दाख की अपनी होगी खाकी, जम्मू-कश्मीर पुलिस भी दिल्ली की तरह उप राज्यपाल को करेगी रिपोर्ट". Amar Ujala.
- "Umang Narula made adviser to Ladakh's Lt Governor, SS Khandare appointed police head". The Tribune. India. 30 October 2019. Retrieved 2 February 2020.