Admiralty Research Establishment
Old Admiralty Research Establishment, Portland in 2008
- Admiralty Surface Weapons Establishment
- Admiralty Marine Technology Establishment
- Admiralty Underwater Weapons Establishment
||April 1, 1991
The Admiralty Research Establishment (commonly known as ARE) was formed on 1 April 1984 from various Admiralty establishments. It became part of the Defence Research Agency on 1 April 1991.
Constituent parts on formation
- Admiralty Surface Weapons Establishment (ASWE), Portsdown, Portsmouth (1959-1984)
- Admiralty Signal and Radar Establishment, Portsmouth (1948-1959).
- Admiralty Signal Establishment, (1941-1948).
- Admiralty Experimental Department, (1917-1941).
- Admiralty Gunnery Establishment, Teddington. (AGE) (1943-1959).
- Admiralty Compass Observatory, Slough, England (1842-1971).
- Admiralty Marine Technology Establishment (1978-1984) - formed from amalgamation of other research departments in 1977
- Naval Construction Research Establishment.
- Admiralty Materials Laboratory (1947-1978).
- Admiralty Underwater Weapons Establishment (AUWE), Portland, Dorset (1960-1984).
- Torpedo Experimental Establishment (TEE), at Greenock, Scotland. (1943-1959)
- Underwater Countermeasures and Weapons Establishments (-1960).
- Underwater Detection Establishment (-1960).