Admission control is a validation process in communication systems where a check is performed before a connection is established to see if current resources are sufficient for the proposed connection.
For some applications, dedicated resources (such as a wavelength across an optical network) may be needed in which case admission control has to verify availability of such resources before a request can be admitted.
For more elastic applications, a total volume of resources may be needed prior to some deadline in order to satisfy a new request, in which case admission control needs to verify availability of resources at the time and perform scheduling to guarantee satisfaction of an admitted request.
Admission control systems
- Asynchronous Transfer Mode
- Audio Video Bridging using Stream Reservation Protocol
- IEEE 1394
- Integrated services on IP networks
- Public switched telephone network
- Montazerolghaem, A.; Yaghmaee, M. H.; Leon-Garcia, A.; Naghibzadeh, M.; Tashtarian, F. (December 2016). "A Load-Balanced Call Admission Controller for IMS Cloud Computing". IEEE Transactions on Network and Service Management. 13 (4): 806–822. doi:10.1109/tnsm.2016.2572161. ISSN 1932-4537.
- M. Sengupta; et al. (2012). "A comparison of wavelength reservation protocols for WDM optical networks". ELSEVIER Journal of Network and Computer Applications.
- S. Kandula; et al. (2014). "Calendaring for Wide Area Networks" (PDF). ACM SIGCOMM.
- H. Zhang; et al. (2015). "Guaranteeing Deadlines for Inter-Datacenter Transfers" (PDF). ACM EUROSYS.
- M. Noormohammadpour; et al. (2016). "DCRoute: Speeding up Inter-Datacenter Traffic Allocation while Guaranteeing Deadlines". IEEE HiPC.