Abu Mohammad al-Adnani
|Abu Muhammad al-Adnani|
|Native name||أبو محمد العدناني|
Taha Subhi Falaha
Binnish, Idlib Governorate, Syria
|Occupation||Official spokesman of the Islamic State of Iraq and the Levant.|
|Criminal charge||Designated a terrorist by the United Nations Security Council and the US State Department.|
Abu Muhammad al-Adnani al-Shami (Arabic: أبو محمد العدناني. born 1977 or 1978), whose original name is Taha Subhi Falaha (طه صبحي فلاحة), is the official spokesperson and a senior leader of the Islamic State of Iraq and the Levant, and its primary conduit for communicating official messages. He is also the emir of ISIS in Syria. The U.S. State Department Rewards for Justice Program announced a reward up to US$5 million for information leading to his capture on May 5, 2015.
Al-Adnani was born in 1977 in the town of Binnish in the Aleppo countryside of the Idlib Governorate, in western Syria. His mother was Khadija Hamed. He lived in the Haditha district of Anbar Province in western Iraq.
Al-Adnani was reportedly one of the first foreign fighters to oppose Coalition forces in Iraq. In May 2005 he was arrested by the Coalition forces in Al Anbar Governorate in Iraq under a fake name “Yasser Khalaf Hussein Nazal al-Rawi”, and was released in 2010. In December 2012, an Iraqi intelligence official said he was using a number of aliases including “Abu Mohamed al-Adnani, Taha al-Banshi, Jaber Taha Falah, Abu Baker al-Khatab and Abu Sadek al-Rawi.”
On 15 August 2014, the United Nations Security Council approved his addition to the Al-Qaeda Sanctions Committee’s list of individuals and entities subject to the targeted financial sanctions and the arms embargo set out in paragraph 1 of Security Council resolution 2161 (2014), adopted under Chapter VII of the Charter of the United Nations.
On 22 September 2014, al-Adnani released an important speech entitled 'Indeed, Your Lord Is Ever Watchful', which was very significant as being the first official instruction by the Islamic State of Iraq and the Levant for its supporters to kill disbelievers in Western countries. Al-Adnani said in his speech:
"If you can kill a disbelieving American or European – especially the spiteful and filthy French – or an Australian, or a Canadian, or any other disbeliever from the disbelievers waging war, including the citizens of the countries that entered into a coalition against the Islamic State, then rely upon Allah, and kill him in any manner or way however it may be. Smash his head with a rock, or slaughter him with a knife, or run him over with your car, or throw him down from a high place, or choke him, or poison him".
- "ISI Spokesman Declares Victory Over US, Sets Sights on Iraqi Government | Latest Multimedia from Islamic State of Iraq (ISI)". Ent.siteintelgroup.com. Retrieved 2015-08-25.
- "Wanted". Rewards for Justice. 2014-08-18. Retrieved 2015-08-25.
- "United Nations Security Council Adds Names of Six Individuals to Al-Qaida Sanctions List". 15 August 2014. Retrieved 1 October 2014.
- "Terrorist Designation of Abu Mohammed al-Adnani". US State Department. 18 August 2014. Retrieved 21 August 2014.
- "Isis urges more attacks on Western ‘disbelievers’". The Independent. Retrieved 1 October 2014.
- "Adnani opens fire on everyone". Al-Akhbar. 8 March 2014. Retrieved 30 September 2014.
- "Rewards for Justice - Reward Offers for Information on Islamic State of Iraq and the Levant (ISIL) Terrorists". State.gov. Retrieved 2015-08-25.
- "Syria: Jihadist factions close to civil war". Al Akhbar English. Retrieved 1 October 2014.
- "Wanted leader of Al-Qaeda-linked group held in Iraq". New Straits Times. Retrieved 1 October 2014.
- "ISIS audio urges Muslims everywhere to kill 'unbelievers'". CBC News. 21 September 2014. Retrieved 22 September 2014.
- Bayoumy, Yara (20 September 2014). "Isis urges more attacks on Western ‘disbelievers’". The Independent. Retrieved 30 September 2014.
- Abu Mohammad al-Adnani. "Indeed Your Lord Is Ever Watchful" (PDF). Archive.org. Al-Furqan Media Productions. Retrieved 30 September 2014.