This article needs additional citations for verification. (November 2012)
Ado Ekiti Fajuyi park
|• Total||293 km2 (113 sq mi)|
|Elevation||455 m (1,493 ft)|
Population and demographics
The population in 2006 was 308,621. The people of Ado Ekiti are mainly of the Ekiti sub-ethnic group of the Yoruba and Edo peoples. Edo-Ekiti or Ado-Ekiti (the Yorubas typically referred to a person of Edo origin as Ado which is why the generals and princes/kings from Benin Empire in Yoruba lands are called Prince/Oba Ado) as it is now known is often categorized under the Yoruba ethnic group as a result of acculturation over the last few centuries.
Ado Ekiti City has a State owned University - the University of Ado Ekiti now Ekiti State University Ado-Ekiti, a privately owned University - Afe Babalola University Ado-Ekiti, a Polytechnic - the Federal Polytechnic, Ado-Ekiti, Federal University Oye, (FUOYE), Oye-Ekiti, privately owned polytechnic Crown polytechnic, Odo, Ado-Ekiti
Media and economy
There are local television and radio stations, Nigeria Television Authority Ado Ekiti, Ekiti State Television (BSES), Radio Ekiti, Progress FM Ado Ekiti. The city can now boast of more private radio stations such as Voice FM owned by Senator Adeyeye, Fresh FM owned by the popular musician, Yinka Ayefele as well as two others purpotedly owned by the current governor and the immediate past governor of the state. Various commercial enterprises operate in Ado Ekiti. The city is the trade centre for a farming region where yams, cassava, grain, and tobacco are grown. Cotton is also grown for weaving.
The current Ewi, or ruler, of Ado Ekiti is Rufus Aladesanmi III, who succeeded Samuel Adeyemi George-Adelabu I in 1990.
- "World Gazetteer". Archived from the original on 2012-12-16.
- "Ado-Ekiti | Location, Facts, & History". Encyclopedia Britannica. Retrieved 2021-06-25.
- "Ado Ekiti | Hometown.ng™". 2016-11-24. Retrieved 2021-06-25.
- "Ekiti State University, Ado Ekiti Nigeria". campus.africa. Retrieved 2021-06-27.
- "Afe Babalola University partners Akin Fadeyi foundation to fight rape, cyberbully". 2020-09-19. Retrieved 2021-06-27.
- "Fed Poly Ado-Ekiti resumes Jan. 18 –Registrar - The Nation". Latest Nigeria News, Nigerian Newspapers, Politics. 2021-01-16. Retrieved 2021-06-27.
- "FUOYE Senate passes vote of confidence in VC | Premium Times Nigeria". 2021-06-17. Retrieved 2021-06-27.
- "CROWN POLYTECHNIC | Home :: CROWN POLYTECHNIC". crownpolytechnic.edu.ng. Retrieved 2021-06-27.
|Wikivoyage has a travel guide for Ado Ekiti.|