|Operating system||Mac OS and Microsoft Windows|
Ceneca Communications Inc. developed the original PageMill and SiteMill products. During open beta testing, Adobe acquired the company and rebranded the product with their own logo. Adobe released PageMill 1.0 in late 1995. It was considered revolutionary at the time, as it was the first HTML editor that was considered user-friendly, cited as the "PageMaker of the WWW". This first version, however, was also criticized for lacking items such as a spell-checker and support for creating HTML tables. Adobe acquired Ceneca in October 1995 for US$15 million.
Adobe PageMill 2.0, which was introduced in early 1997, corrected these issues with a package that, according to one review, "adds more features than I have fingers and toes… PageMill with its tables, frames, graphics, and support for form interfaces, makes it easy to lay out a page". PageMill 2.0 was also the first version for Microsoft Windows.
Adobe PageMill 3.0, released in early 1999, supported embedded font commands and a site-management feature. It was discontinued in February 2000, due to the acquisition and promotion of Adobe GoLive. A later patch, still available from Adobe, fixed a problem with FTP upload.
PageMill was often bundled with other products such as scanners or promotional CD-ROMs, rather than sold as a stand-alone product.
- Pfiffner, Pamela (2003). Inside the publishing revolution: The Adobe Story. Peachpit Press. pp. 160, 170. ISBN 0-321-11564-3.
- "Pipeline". InfoWorld. Vol. 17, no. 45. InfoWorld Media Group. November 6, 1995. p. 58. ISSN 0199-6649. Adobe began shipping PageMill for the Macintosh priced at $99.
- "Review of Adobe PageMill 1.0". Society of Cartographers Bulletin. 1995. Archived from the original on 2007-09-27. Retrieved 2010-08-25.
- Pfiffner 2003, p. 171.
- Pfiffner 2003, pp. 171–175.
- Pfiffner 2003, p. 160.
- "Review of Adobe PageMill 2.0". Society of Cartographers Bulletin. 1997. Archived from the original on 2008-06-20. Retrieved 2010-08-25.
- Walsh, Jeff (12 May 1997). "PageMill 2.0 to ship". InfoWorld. Vol. 19, no. 19. p. 15.
- Walsh, Jeff (9 February 1998). "Adobe adds adaptability to PageMill 3.0". InfoWorld. Vol. 20, no. 6. p. 54.
- "Adobe PageMill Discontinued". Adobe.com. 2005-01-05. Archived from the original on 2005-03-07. Retrieved 2010-01-02.
- Pfiffner 2003, p. 175.
- "PageMill 3.0.1 Update for Windows". Adobe. February 25, 2000. Archived from the original on 9 May 2011. Retrieved 2010-08-25.
- Adobe PageMill, About.com
- Writing and Editing Your Web Pages, Fermilab National Laboratory LInC Online
- Internet archive software library including Pagemill 2 & 3 for mac and windows
- Original product brochures for Ceneca's and Adobe's PageMill / Sitemill products.