Adobe Premiere Pro
|This article needs additional citations for verification. (July 2012) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)|
Adobe Premiere Pro CC running on OS X El Capitan
CC 2015.3 (10.4.0) / August 3, 2016
|Preview release||None [±]|
|Operating system||Windows 7 and later; OS X Yosemite and later|
|Type||Video editing software|
CNN was an early adopter of Adobe Premiere. Also, in 2007, BBC adopted Premiere. It has been used to edit feature films, such as Gone Girl, Captain Abu Raed, and Monsters, and other venues such as Madonna's Confessions Tour.
Premiere Pro is the redesigned successor to Adobe Premiere, and was launched in 2003. Premiere Pro refers to versions released in 2003 and later, whereas Premiere refers to the earlier releases. Premiere was one of the first computer-based NLEs (non-linear editing system), with its first release on Mac in 1991. Up until version Premiere Pro 2.0 (CS2), the software packaging featured a galloping horse, in a nod to Eadweard Muybridge's work, "Sallie Gardner at a Gallop".
Premiere Pro supports high resolution video editing at up to 10,240 × 8,192 resolution, at up to 32-bits per channel color, in both RGB and YUV. Audio sample-level editing, VST audio plug-in support, and 5.1 surround sound mixing are available. Premiere Pro's plug-in architecture enables it to import and export formats beyond those supported by QuickTime or DirectShow, supporting a wide variety of video and audio file formats and codecs on both MacOS and Windows. When used with Cineform's Neo line of plug-ins, it supports 3D editing with the ability to view 3D material using 2D monitors, while making individual left and right eye adjustments.
- After Effects
- Through Adobe Dynamic Link, compositions from Adobe After Effects may be imported and played back directly on the Premiere Pro timeline. The After Effects composition can be modified, and after switching back to Premiere Pro, the clip will update with the changes. Likewise, Premiere Pro projects can be imported into After Effects. Clips can be copied between the two applications while preserving clip attributes. Premiere Pro also supports many After Effects plug-ins.
- Adobe Photoshop files can be opened directly from Premiere Pro to be edited in Photoshop. Any changes will immediately be updated when the Photoshop file is saved and focus returns to Premiere Pro.
- Adobe Story, OnLocation and Prelude
- The Premiere Pro workflow takes advantage of metadata in the script of a video production. The script is created in or brought into Adobe Story, then passed to Adobe OnLocation to capture footage and attach any relevant metadata from the script to that footage. Finally, in Premiere Pro, speech recognition can match the audio to the dialogue from the script in the metadata. Clips can be searched based on their dialogue in Premiere Pro, and can be sent to Adobe Encore to make searchable web DVDs. Adobe Prelude replaces OnLocation in CS6 and above.
- There are other integration functions, such as Edit in Adobe Audition, Dynamic Link to Encore, and Reveal in Adobe Bridge.
Advantages over Premiere Elements
An entry-level version, Adobe Premiere Elements is aimed at home users available on Microsoft Windows and Mac OS X. With Premiere Pro aimed at the professional market, it has advantages over Premiere Elements including multiple sequence support, high bit-depth rendering, multicamera editing, time remapping, scopes, color correction tools, advanced audio mixer interface, and bezier keyframing. Premiere Pro also has Encore, for more elaborate DVD and Blu-ray Disc authoring options, and OnLocation for direct-to-disk recording. Encore was discontinued with the release of Adobe Creative Cloud.
|Version||Platform||Release date||Significant changes||Codename|
|Adobe Premiere 1.0||Mac||December 1991||Demon|
|Adobe Premiere 2.0||Mac||September 1992||
|Adobe Premiere 3.0||Mac||August 1993||
|Adobe Premiere 1.0||Windows||September 1993||
|Adobe Premiere 1.1||Windows||February 1994|
|Adobe Premiere 4.0||Mac||July 1994||Zambini|
|Adobe Premiere 4.0||Windows||December 1994||
|Adobe Premiere 4.2||Mac||October 1995||
|Adobe Premiere 4.2||Windows||April 1996||
|Adobe Premiere 4.2 for Silicon Graphics||UNIX/SGI||July 1997||Primo|
|Adobe Premiere 5.0||Windows and Mac||May 1998||Mustang|
|Adobe Premiere 5.0.1||Windows and Mac||Button Fly|
|Adobe Premiere 5.1||Windows and Mac||October 1998||
|Adobe Premiere 6.0||Windows and Mac||January 2001||
|Adobe Premiere 6.5||Windows and Mac||August 2002||
|Adobe Premiere Pro 1.0
(Adobe Premiere 7.0)
|Windows||August 21, 2003||
|Adobe Premiere Pro 1.5||Windows||May 24, 2004||
|Adobe Premiere Pro 1.5.1||Windows||March 1, 2005||HDV support||Banacek|
|Adobe Premiere Pro 2.0||Windows||January 17, 2006||
|Adobe Premiere Pro CS3||Windows and Mac OS X||July 2, 2007||
|Adobe Premiere Pro CS3 v3.0.1||Windows and Mac OS X||Willow|
|Adobe Premiere Pro CS3 v3.1.0||Windows and Mac OS X||October 18, 2007||Native Panasonic P2 MXF import, editing, and export||Xander|
|Adobe Premiere Pro CS3 v3.1.1||Windows and Mac OS X||Spike|
|Adobe Premiere Pro CS3 v3.2.0||Windows and Mac OS X||April 14, 2008||Native Sony XDCAM MXF import and editing||Drusilla|
|Adobe Premiere Pro CS4||Windows and Mac OS X||September 23, 2008||
|Adobe Premiere Pro CS4 v4.0.1||Windows and Mac OS X||November 20, 2008||Whitfield|
|Adobe Premiere Pro CS4 v4.0.2||Windows and Mac OS X||Sanger|
|Adobe Premiere Pro CS4 v4.1.0||Windows and Mac OS X||May 29, 2009||
|Adobe Premiere Pro CS4 v4.2.0||Windows and Mac OS X||November 10, 2009||Panasonic P2 AVC-Intra support (including new sequence presets)|
|Adobe Premiere Pro CS4 v4.2.1||Windows and Mac OS X||December 8, 2009||Fixed memory issue that occurred when importing large numbers of AVC-Intra files into Adobe Premiere Pro|
|Adobe Premiere Pro CS5||Windows and Mac OS X||April 30, 2010||
|Adobe Premiere Pro CS5 v5.0.1||Windows and Mac OS X||May 26, 2010||Mercury Playback Engine supports additional layers on the NVIDIA GeForce GTX 285 GPU card||Doggett|
|Adobe Premiere Pro CS5 v5.0.2||Windows and Mac OS X||September 1, 2010||
|Adobe Premiere Pro CS5 v5.0.3||Windows and Mac OS X||December 7, 2010||Mercury Playback Engine support for the NVIDIA Quadro 5000 m card (Windows) and the NVIDIA Quadro 4000 card (Mac)||Spender|
|Adobe Premiere Pro CS5 v5.0.4||Windows and Mac OS X||Pendrell|
|Adobe Premiere Pro CS5.5||Windows and Mac OS X||May 3, 2011||
|Adobe Premiere Pro CS5.5.1||Windows and Mac OS X||September 12, 2011||Bug fixes, including some for Mac OS X v10.7 (Lion) compatibility||Strughold|
|Adobe Premiere Pro CS5.5.2||Windows and Mac OS X||November 1, 2011||nVidia Maximus functionality and bug fixes|
|Adobe Premiere Pro CS6||Windows and Mac OS X||May 7, 2012||
|Adobe Premiere Pro CS6.0.1||Windows and Mac OS X||May 25, 2012||Bug fixes and improved OpenCL performance||Tighty Kilt|
|Adobe Premiere Pro CS6.0.2||Windows and Mac OS X||September 6, 2012||HiDPI for Retina Display, bug fixes, and new supported GPUs||Slightly Built|
|Adobe Premiere Pro CC7.0.0||Windows and Mac OS X||June 17, 2013||
|Adobe Premiere Pro CC7.0.1||Windows and Mac OS X||July, 2013||
|Adobe Premiere Pro CC7.0.2||Windows and Mac OS X||Get Reel|
|Adobe Premiere Pro CC 7.1||Windows and Mac OS X||October, 2013||
|Adobe Premiere Pro CC 7.2||Windows and Mac OS X||December, 2013||
|Adobe Premiere Pro CC 7.2.1||Windows and Mac OS X||December, 2013||Bug fixes and AMD Radeon R9 290 Series has been added to the OpenCL supported card list|
|Adobe Premiere Pro CC 2014.0||Windows and Mac OS X||June 18, 2014||
|Adobe Premiere Pro CC 2014.1||Windows and Mac OS X||October 6, 2014||
|Adobe Premiere Pro CC 2014.2||Windows and Mac OS X||December 16, 2014||
|Adobe Premiere Pro CC 2015.0 (9.0.0) Build 247||Windows and Mac OS X||June 15, 2015||
|Adobe Premiere Pro CC 2015.0.1 (9.0.1) Build 36||Windows and Mac OS X||July 27, 2015||
|Adobe Premiere Pro CC 2015.1 (9.1)||Windows and Mac OS X||November 30, 2015||
|Adobe Premiere Pro CC 2015.2 (9.2)||Windows and Mac OS X||January 27, 2016||
• Several Bug Fixes
|Adobe Premiere Pro CC 2015.3 (10.3)||Windows and Mac OS X||June 21, 2016||
|Adobe Premiere Pro CC 2015.3 (10.4)||Windows and Mac OS X||August 3, 2016||
• Several new QuickTime formats are now natively supported on Windows without the QuickTime player needing to be installed (Import: AAC, PNG, Animation codec; Export: Animation codec) • Bug Fixes
Films edited on Adobe Premiere Pro
- 13 (by Burton Snowboards)
- A Liar's Autobiography
- Captain Abu Raed
- Dust to Glory
- Gone Girl
- Red Obsession
- Sharknado 2: The Second One
- Staten Island Summer
- Superman Returns (for the video capture process)
- The Social Network (only conforming)
- Ticket to Ride (by Warren Miller Entertainment)
- Waiting for Lightning
- Wayland's Song
- We Will Part
- World War II from Space
- Hugo (only VFX work)
- The Tourist
- Act of Valor
- Avatar (daily and basic edits in conjunction with Avid)
- Thunderbirds Are Go
- Hail, Caesar!
- Adobe Premiere Elements
- Adobe Premiere Express
- Adobe Creative Suite
- Creative Cloud controversy
- List of video editing software
- Comparison of video editing software
- "Adobe Premiere Pro and Media Encoder 2015.3 (10.4) Updates - Creative Cloud blog by Adobe".
- "System requirements". Adobe Premiere Pro system requirements. Adobe Systems. Retrieved 25 July 2012.
- "Editing Wars: Adobe Premiere vs Final Cut vs Avid", mediasilo, Oct 25, 2013, retrieved 2014-05-27
- "Adobe Creative Suite 3 Production Premium Wins in Broadcasting", Adobe Systems Incorporated, April 16, 2007, retrieved 2008-05-02
- "David Fincher's new movie shot and post produced at 6K and used 36 TB of SSDs!", RedShark News, Aug 27, 2014, retrieved 2014-09-08
- Frazer, Bryant (January 31, 2008), "Conforming a D-20 Feature in Adobe Premiere Pro", studiodaily
- "Monsters". Customer Stories: Video, Film, and Audio. Adobe Systems. 14 January 2011. Retrieved 25 July 2012.
- "Madonna's Confessions Tour Uses a Flexible, Fast HP Workstation", Digital Content Producer, August 2, 2006, archived from the original on July 6, 2007, retrieved 2007-07-06
- "maximum dimensions in Premiere Pro CS5", Adobe Systems Incorporated, July 20, 2010, retrieved 2010-08-25
- Script-to-screen workflows, Adobe Systems Incorporated, retrieved 2010-08-25
- Sullivan, Eamonn (January 27, 1992), "Adobe multimedia tool makes nimble partner for QuickTime", PC Week, 9 (4), p. 34
- Thompson, Tom (June 1992), "Two tools of the QuickTime trade", Byte, 17 (6), p. 336
- Chadbourne, Teri. "Adobe Premiere Version 2.0 Now Available", Business Wire. New York, 18 September 1992.
- Green, Doug; Green, Denise (November 16, 1992), "Premier holds its place as the best multimedia editor", InfoWorld, 14 (46), pp. 142(2)
- Pane, Patricia J. "Adobe Premiere 3.0 for the Macintosh now available", Business Wire. New York, 2 August 1993.
- Peck, LaVon. "Adobe Premiere 1.0 for Windows now available", Business Wire, New York, 10 September 1993.
- Rosenbaum, Daniel J. (January 1992), "Premiere 1.0 for Windows: digital video production on the PC", Computer Shopper, 14 (1), pp. 869(2)
- Safi, Quabidur R. (October 11, 1993), "Premiere 1.0 for Windows", PC Week, 10 (40), pp. 92(1)
- Taft, Darryl K.; Georgianis, Maria V. (August 16, 1993), "Adobe builds presence across multiple platforms", Computer Reseller News (540), pp. 16(1)
- "Adobe Systems ships Adobe Premiere 1.1 for Windows", Schaefer, Sonya. Business Wire, New York, 7 February 1994.
- Simone, Louisa (April 26, 1994), "Adobe Premiere", PC Magazine, 13 (8), pp. 233(2)
- Pane, Patricia J. "Version 4.0 of Adobe Premiere for the Macintosh now available", Business Wire, New York, 25 July 1994.
- Andy, Fischer (April 1995), "Adobe Premiere version 4.0", Computer Life, 2 (4), pp. 118(1)
- Jordan, Lawrence (December 1994), "Adobe Premiere 4.0", Macworld
- Pane, Patricia J. "Adobe Premiere Version 4.0 for Windows now available", Business Wire, New York, 21 December 1994.
- Simone, Luisa (March 14, 1995), "Adobe Premiere 4.0: video the professional way", PC Magazine, 14 (5), p. 50
- "Adobe Premiere 4.2 for Macintosh and Power Macintosh Now Available" (PDF) (Press release). Adobe Systems Incorporated. October 20, 1995. Archived from the original (PDF) on January 13, 1997. Retrieved 2007-07-06.
- "Adobe Premiere 4.2 for Windows 95 & Windows NT Now Available" (PDF) (Press release). Adobe Systems Incorporated. April 24, 1996. Archived from the original (PDF) on January 13, 1997. Retrieved 2007-07-06.
- Adobe Premiere New Feature Highlights (PDF), Adobe Systems Incorporated, February 27, 1996, archived from the original (PDF) on December 19, 1996, retrieved 2007-07-06
- "Adobe ships Premiere 4.2 for SGI O2 workstations", What's New at Adobe – July, 1997, Adobe Systems Incorporated, July 21, 1997, archived from the original on February 4, 1998, retrieved 2007-07-06
- "Adobe Systems to Deliver Silicon Graphics Version Of Adobe Premiere Non-linear Editing Software" (PDF) (Press release). Adobe Systems Incorporated. October 7, 1996. Archived from the original (PDF) on January 13, 1997. Retrieved 2007-07-06.
- "Adobe Premiere 5.0 Now Shipping" (Press release). Adobe Systems Incorporated. May 18, 1998. Archived from the original on July 3, 1998. Retrieved 2007-07-06.
- Adobe Premiere 5.0 New Features, Adobe Systems Incorporated, archived from the original on July 3, 1998, retrieved 2007-06-06
- "Adobe Announces Update to Premiere 5.0" (Press release). Adobe Systems Incorporated. October 14, 1998. Archived from the original on February 18, 1999. Retrieved 2007-07-06.
- "Adobe Ships Premiere 6.0" (Press release). Adobe Systems Incorporated. January 8, 2001. Archived from the original on April 5, 2001. Retrieved 2007-07-06.
- "Adobe Introduces CS4" (Press release). Adobe Systems Incorporated. September 23, 2008. Retrieved 2008-12-04.
- "Adobe Introduces CS4" (Press release). Adobe Systems Incorporated. November 20, 2008. Retrieved 2008-12-04.
- Adobe Premiere Pro v4.1.0 (PDF), Adobe Systems Incorporated
- Adobe Premiere Pro v4.2.0 (PDF), Adobe Systems Incorporated
- Adobe Premiere Pro v4.2.1 (PDF), Adobe Systems Incorporated
- Adobe Premiere Pro v5 announced (PDF), Adobe Systems Incorporated
- Adobe Premiere Pro v5.0.1 (PDF), Adobe Systems Incorporated
- Adobe Premiere Pro v5.0.2 (PDF), Adobe Systems Incorporated
- Adobe Premiere Pro v5.0.3 (PDF), Adobe Systems Incorporated
- "Adobe Premiere Pro CC (7.1), October 2013 - Creative Cloud blog by Adobe".
- "Adobe Premiere Pro CC (7.2), December 2013 - Creative Cloud blog by Adobe".
- "Newly supported GPUs in Premiere Pro CC 7.2 - Creative Cloud blog by Adobe".
- "Premiere Pro CC Update (7.2.1) - Creative Cloud blog by Adobe".
- "Premiere Pro CC 2015 | Premiere Pro work area". blogs.adobe.com. Retrieved 2015-08-04.
- "Premiere Pro CC 2015 Update (9.0.1) | Premiere Pro work area". blogs.adobe.com. Retrieved 2015-08-04.
- "Premiere Pro CC 2015.1 Update (9.1) | Premiere Pro work area". blogs.adobe.com. Retrieved 2015-11-30.
- "Premiere Pro CC 2015.2 Update (9.2) | Premiere Pro work area". blogs.adobe.com. Retrieved 2016-01-27.
- "Premiere Pro CC 2015.3 Update (10.3) | Premiere Pro work area". blogs.adobe.com. Retrieved 2016-06-21.
- "Premiere Pro CC 2015.3 Update (10.4) | Premiere Pro work area". blogs.adobe.com. Retrieved 2016-08-03.
- "Popular switches to Adobe Premiere Pro CS6 for latest Burton Snowboards film-"13"", Pro Video Coalition, November 8, 2012, retrieved 2013-01-25
- ""A Liar's Autobiography" Filmmakers Switch to All Adobe Workflow for Tribute to Monty Python Member", Pro Video Coalition, September 8, 2012, retrieved 2013-01-25
- "Adobe Premiere Pro used to Cut Dust to Glory", Digital Media Net, January 24, 2005, retrieved 2012-08-27
- "Tom Lowe breaks technological and creative bounds with TimeScapes", Pro Video Coalition, October 12, 2012, retrieved 2013-01-25
- ""Red Obsession" weaves intoxicating story", Pro Video Coalition, February 11, 2014, retrieved 2014-05-27
- "Sharknado 2 and Vashi's Premiere Pro Editorial Workflow", Pro Video Coalition, July 29, 2014, retrieved 2014-08-21
- "'Staten Island Summer'", Pro Video Coalition, August 14, 2015
- Restuccio, Daniel (June 1, 2006), "'SUPERMAN RETURNS'", Post
- "The Social Network: Friends of filmmaking" (PDF). Hollywood, California: Adobe Systems. 15 October 2010. Retrieved 25 July 2012.
- "The Black Diamond run for filmmakers", Pro Video Coalition, April 24, 2014, retrieved 2014-05-27
- "Lightning strikes with new Danny Way documentary created by Jacob Rosenberg", Pro Video Coalition, December 6, 2012, retrieved 2013-01-25
- "The Punk Rocker Who Became a Filmmaker", Pro Video Coalition, May 31, 2013, retrieved 2013-01-25
- "Filmmaking dreams realized", Pro Video Coalition, May 27, 2014, retrieved 2014-05-27
- "A bird's-eye view of World War II", Pro Video Coalition, October 2, 2013, retrieved 2014-05-27
- ""Thunderbirds" blasts back to the small screen", Adobe PremierePro, Aug 22, 2015, retrieved 2015-04-26
- "Pro video editing apps and tools - Adobe Creative Cloud".