Adolfo Camarillo High School
|Adolfo Camarillo High School|
|4660 Mission Oaks Boulevard
Camarillo, California, 93012
|School district||Oxnard Union High School District|
|Teaching staff||94.23 (FTE)|
|Student to teacher ratio||27.25|
|Color(s)||Blue and White|
|Athletics conference||Coastal Canyon League|
|Rival||Newbury Park High School|
Adolfo Camarillo High School is a high school located in Camarillo, California. It was recognized as a California Distinguished School in 1996 and in 2009 and a National Blue Ribbon School in 1998. It is part of the Oxnard Union High School District. The land was purchased for the school by Adolfo Camarillo for the construction of a high school. Its principal is Kim Stephenson.
The demographic breakdown of the 2,568 students enrolled for the 2013-2014 school year was:
- Male - 50.9%
- Female - 49.1%
- Native American/Alaskan - 0.4%
- Asian/Pacific islanders - 11.3%
- Black - 1.7%
- Hispanic - 38.4%
- White - 45.3%
- Multiracial - 2.9%
In addition, 29.0% of the students were eligible for free or reduced lunches.
The school's mascot is the "Scorpion". ACHS has produced star athletes, including Randy Elliott, 1969 MLB 1st round draft pick  and the first overall pick of the 2003 MLB Draft, Delmon Young, USA Olympic GOLD Medalist Jessica Mendoza, and multi-sport collegiate star Joe Borchard.
The Scorpions have three CIF-SS champion football teams in their history. In 1984, the Camarillo Scorpions football team won the CIF Southern Section championship in the Los Angeles Coliseum over Ventura High School. In 1996, ACHS beat Notre Dame High School of Sherman Oaks with future Oakland Raiders star Justin Fargas 20-16. 19 years later, Camarillo won the 2015 Southern Section title with a 55-27 win over Thousand Oaks, which brought their record to 14-0.
In 1991, Camarillo's softball team won CIF against Buena to mark the first ever championship for the program.
The school hosts the Camarillo Classic, a well known early season, two-day invitational track-and-field event, every March. It attracts dozens of teams from all over Southern California. The Distance Classic portion of the event has attracted notable athletes such as Jordan Hasay, Duane Solomon and Christine Babcock to come and produce record-breaking performances at the Camarillo Classic. In 2007, when Hasay ran her meet record 10:04.07 3200 meters, both standing national record holders in the event, Kim Mortensen and Jeff Nelson were in attendance.
- Bryan Anger (2007) - NFL punter for Jacksonville Jaguars #70 pick overall
- Joe Borchard (1997) - Major League Baseball player
- Randy Elliott (1969) - Major League Baseball player, first round draft pick
- Jerry Finn (1987) - music producer, sound engineer, Grammy winner
- Jeremy Fischer - high jumper and coach
- Joel Hodge - cinematographer
- Erik Komatsu (2005) - Major League Baseball player
- Tom Lenk - actor
- Jeff Mathews (2010) - Cornell University and NFL quarterback
- Jessica Mendoza (1998) - Olympic softball gold medalist and ESPN baseball broadcaster
- Alex Nowrasteh (2002) - influential economist and immigration policy analyst
- Mike Parrott (1973) - Major League Baseball player
- Marla Runyan - Paralympic gold medalist, one of only five athletes to participate in both Paralympics and Olympics
- Jeff Tackett (1984) - Major League Baseball player (on list of players who have hit a Home run in final at-bat)
- Hilary Van Dyke - actress
- Delmon Young (2003) - Major League Baseball #1 draft pick
- "Search for Public Schools - School Detail for Adolfo Camarillo High". ed.gov. Retrieved 8 December 2015.
- "Randy Elliott Statistics and History - Baseball-Reference.com". Baseball-Reference.com. Retrieved 28 August 2015.
- "Warrior track and field team solid at Camarillo Classic". The Orange County Register. Retrieved 28 August 2015.
- "CV Track visits Camarillio - Crescenta Valley Weekly - Crescenta Valley Weekly". crescentavalleyweekly.com. Retrieved 28 August 2015.
- "Falcons’ depth prevails". tribunedigital-glendalenews-press. Retrieved 28 August 2015.
- "Camarillo Distance Relays". camarilloclassic.com. Retrieved 28 August 2015.
- Dyestatcal. http://www.dyestat.com/results/trk2007/March/16%20Camarillo%20Dist%20Classic/Recap.htm. Retrieved October 14, 2008.[dead link]