Adolfo J. de Bold
Adolfo J. de Bold, OC, FRSC (born 14 February 1942) is an Argentinian–Canadian cardiovascular researcher, best known for his discovery of atrial natriuretic peptide, a polypeptide hormone secreted by heart muscle cells.
Education and career
Born in Paraná, Argentina, de Bold obtained a BSc in clinical biochemistry at the Faculty of Chemical Sciences of the National University of Córdoba before moving to Canada in 1968. His MSc (1972) and PhD (1973) are from the Department of Pathology at Queen's University in Kingston, Ontario, under the direction of Sergio Bencosme. He worked at Queen's University from 1974, rising to professor in 1985. In 1986, he became director of research at the University of Ottawa Heart Institute, a position he held until 1993.
As of 2008, de Bold is the director of the Cardiovascular Endocrinology Laboratory at the University of Ottawa Heart Institute, and also an assistant professor of pathology and cellular and molecular medicine at the University of Ottawa.
De Bold's research has focused on the study of storage granules in heart cells. In 1980, this work led to his co-discovery and isolation of atrial natriuretic peptide (ANP), a polypeptide hormone secreted by heart muscle cells. This was the first demonstration that the heart has an endocrine function. De Bold's team went on to show that the heart modulates blood pressure, blood volume and cardiovascular growth via ANP. The discovery of ANP opened up a new field of research which has resulted in multiple therapeutic and diagnostic applications in heart failure.
Awards and honours
De Bold has received many awards for his work on ANP, including the Gairdner Foundation International Award (1986), Manning Innovation Awards Principal Award (1986), Royal Society of Canada McLaughlin Medal in Medical Research (1988), International Society for Hypertension Research Award (1990), CIBA Award of the American Heart Association (1994) and the American Society for Hypertension Research Award. The Heart and Stroke Foundation of Ontario included the discovery of ANP among its top ten research discoveries of the past fifty years. He is a fellow of the Royal Society of Canada and of the American Association for the Advancement of Science. In 1992, he was appointed an Officer of the Order of Canada. In 2014, he was inducted into the Canadian Medical Hall of Fame. Gran Prix Scientifique Lefoulon-Delalande, Institute de France, 2014
- de Bold AJ, Borenstein HB, Veress AT, Sonnenberg H. (1981) A rapid and potent natriuretic response to intravenous injection of atrial myocardial extract in rats. Life Sci 28: 89–94 (PMID 7219045)
- Flynn TG, de Bold ML, de Bold AJ. (1983) The amino acid sequence of an atrial peptide with potent diuretic and natriuretic properties. Biochem Biophys Res Commun 117: 859-865 (PMID 6230081)
- de Bold AJ. (1985) Atrial natriuretic factor: a hormone produced by the heart. Science 230: 767–770 (doi:10.1126/science.2932797 PMID 2932797)
- Lumley E. Canadian Who's Who 2003 (University of Toronto Press; 2003) (ISBN 0-8020-8865-1)
- University of Ottawa Heart Institute: Adolfo de Bold OC, PhD, FRSC Archived October 8, 2007, at the Wayback Machine (accessed 4 December 2008)
- RSC: The Academies of Arts, Humanities and Sciences of Canada: McLaughlin Medal (accessed 4 December 2008)
- The Gairdner Foundation: International Awardees: 1987–1978 Archived January 22, 2009, at the Wayback Machine (accessed 4 December 2008)
- Manning Innovation Awards: Award Winners: Dr. Adolfo de Bold (accessed 4 December 2008)
- AAAS Fellows Archived January 15, 2014, at the Wayback Machine (accessed 4 December 2008)
- Order of Canada: Adolfo J. de Bold, O.C., Ph.D., F.R.S.C.[permanent dead link] (accessed 4 December 2008)
- "Dr. Adolfo J. de Bold". Canadian Medical Hall of Fame. 2014. Archived from the original on 2014-07-18.
- Institute de France