He studied chemistry at the University of Freiburg, receiving his doctorate in 1865. Following graduation, he spent several years as a laboratory assistant in Freiburg and Heidelberg. In 1870 he became director of the Landwirtschaftlichen Versuchsstation Kiel (Agricultural Experimental Station in Kiel), a post he maintained until his death. In 1874 he obtained his habilitation at the University of Kiel, and in 1882, received the title of professor.
- Agrikultur-Chemische Untersuchungen: Versuche und Analysen, 1895 – Agricultural-chemical investigations: Testing and analysis.
- Studien über die Eiweissbildung in der Pflanze, 1900 – Studies on protein formation in plants.
- Beiträge zur kenntnis der dauerweiden in den marschen Norddeutschlands, 1901 – Contributions to the knowledge of permanent pasture in the marshes of Northern Germany (with Carl Albert Weber).
Many of his scientific articles were published in the periodicals, Die Landwirtschaftlichen Versuchs-Stationen and the Berichte der deutschen chemischen Gesellschaft.
- Nature, Volume 73 edited by Sir Norman Lockyer
- Biographisches Handbuch zur Geschichte des Pflanzenbaus by Wolfgang Böhm
- A dictionary of applied chemistry, Volume 3 by Sir Thomas Edward Thorpe
- Handbuch zur Geschichte der Naturwissenschaften und der Technik by Ludwig Darmstaedter, René du Bois-Reymond, Carl Schaefer
- Google Search published works