The company was founded in 1999 by Kate Morris, a 21-year-old business student. Morris used savings and an A$12,000 loan from her boyfriend's parents to start the business, which she ran out of her garage. She found a company in the newspaper to build the first website, which cost A$8,000 and took six months.
The company had a $2 million turnover by the end of 2010. In 2014, the company secured a deal with Estee Lauder Companies to become an authorized agent for Clinique, Bobbi Brown and Estee Lauder brands. That same year, the company earned over $7 million in revenue and ranked 29th in the Smart Company ‘Smart50’ Awards. Morris won the Innovation Award for Victoria in the 2014 Telstra Women's Business Awards.
As of 2016, the company turns over $16 million and carries 150 brands and 10,000 products. The company is an official online stockist of Dermalogica, ghd, Clarisonic, Lancôme, Benefit Cosmetics, Aesop and Kérastase. The company's Findation service, which compares 22,000 foundations to find the best match, has 1.5 million users.
- Robb, Kirsten. "Adore Beauty founder Kate Morris: Why I sold a 25% stake in my $10 million business to Woolworths." Smart Company. 15 May 2015
- Carmody, Broede. "Small business decides: Adore Beauty founder Kate Morris on the importance of high-speed internet." Smart Company. 26 May 2016
- Villaneuva, Aaron Jefferson. "29: Adore Beauty." SmartCompany Awards 2014. 15 Sept. 2014
- Bogle, Ariel. "How to take a beauty website from an Australian garage to China." Mashable. 19 April 2016
- Cain, Alexandra. "Beauty in the eye of the online shopper." The Sydney Morning Herald. 27 July 2010
- Smith, Fiona. "Adore Beauty’s Kate Morris founded a $16 million business on cosmetics and code." Financial Review. 18 May 2016
- Carmody, Broede. "Four lessons in business success from Adore Beauty founder Kate Morris." Smart Company. 29 Jan. 2016
- Robb, Kirsten. "How I snagged a deal with Estee Lauder." Smart Company. 4 Dec. 2014
- Harper, Jane. "Woolworths snaps up 25 pc of online retailer Adore Beauty." The Courier Mail. 14 May 2015
- Ainomugisha, Gerald. "This Australian e-commerce site is tapping into the $100 billion Chinese beauty market." Australian Anthill. 28 Apr. 2016
- Hawkes, Helen. "Good grooming in one click." Financial Review. 23 July 2015
- "Four Melbourne businesswomen reveal their secrets to success." The Herald Sun
- Daquino, Laura. "Beauty Queen Eyes China." Business News Australia. 18 May 2016