|Part of the Syrian Civil War|
|Date||11–12 December 2013|
|Target||Alawites, Christians, Druze and Ismailites|
|Deaths||32–40 (opposition claim)
80–100 (government claim)
The Adra massacre was the killing of at least 32 Alawite, Christian, Druze and Ismailite civilians in the industrial town of Adra, Syria in December 2013, during the Syrian Civil War. According to the government and activists it was conducted by the al-Nusra Front. The U.S. State Department condemned massacres in Syria and condemned 'the latest report of a massacre of civilians in Adra.'
On 11 December, the rebel Islamic Front and Al-Nusra Front groups infiltrated the industrial area of the town of Adra, northeast of Damascus, attacking buildings housing workers and their families. The fighters were alleged to have targeted Alawites, Druze, Christians and Shiites, killing them for sectarian motives. Some people were shot while others were beheaded. The killings lasted into the next day. 15–19 minority civilian deaths were documented by the Syrian Observatory for Human Rights, amidst claims that as many as 40 were killed. 18 pro-government militia were also killed, including five Palestinian Liberation Army (PLA) members. Several rebels died when a Shiite man detonated a hand grenade, killing himself, the rebels and members of his family, after the rebels attempted to kill them.
On 13 December, the military surrounded Adra and started an operation to push out rebel fighters from the area, making advances in the town during the day. As of the next day, the operation was still continuing.
By 15 December, the number of minority civilians confirmed killed in the rebel attack on Adra had risen to 32. Dozens of others were missing. The Syrian military claimed more than 80 people were killed by Islamic rebels, while the Syrian Foreign Ministry put out a figure of more than 100 dead.
On 30 December, reports said that the Syrian army evacuated around 5,000 people from Adra, while on 31 December, the government news agency reported that more people were evacuated, bringing the total number of evacuees to more than 6,000.
- "Syrian regime drops barrel bombs in air attack in Aleppo; 78 dead include 28 children". NewsComAu.
- "Syrian troops launch offensive after dozens killed". Retrieved 6 February 2015.
- "Civilian Massacres in Syria". U.S. Department of State. Retrieved 6 February 2015.
- Islamists kill 15 Alawite and Druze civilians in Syria -activists Reuters. 12 December 2013.
- "Syria army aims to expel rebels from town on road to capital - Region - World - Ahram Online". Retrieved 6 February 2015.
- "Syria rebel commander freezes to death: activists". The Daily Star Newspaper - Lebanon. Retrieved 6 February 2015.
- "Government claims Islamic rebels executed civilians in Adra [UPDATE]". UPI. Retrieved 6 February 2015.
- "Al-Qaida militants kill over 100 Syrians near Damascus: FM". Xinhua News Agency. 17 December 2013.
- "Syrian govt evacuates 5,000 from town besieged by Islamist rebels". Retrieved 6 February 2015.
- "الوكالة العربية السورية للأنباء - Syrian Arab News Agency". Retrieved 6 February 2015.
- "Syria Geneva II talks: Scepticism on the streets as al-Qa'ida poses as peacemaker". The Independent. Retrieved 6 February 2015.
- "Syria army takes key rebel-held town near capital". AFP. Retrieved 4 November 2015.