||This biography of a living person needs additional citations for verification. (February 2014) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)|
|Occupation||Distinguished Professor at Duke University|
|Known for||thermodynamics, heat transfer, and the constructal law|
Adrian Bejan is an American professor who developed modern thermodynamics and the constructal law of design and evolution in nature. He is J. A. Jones Distinguished Professor of Mechanical Engineering at Duke University and author of the new book The Physics of Life.
He was born in Galaţi, a port town located on the Danube in Romania. His mother, Marioara Bejan (1914–1998), was a pharmacist.[non-primary source needed] His father, Dr. Anghel Bejan (1910–1976), was a veterinarian. Adrian Bejan showed an early talent in drawing, and his parents enrolled him in art school. He also excelled in basketball, which earned him a position on the Romanian national basketball team.
Adrian Bejan received all his degrees from MIT: BS 1971 (Honors Course), MS 1972 (Honors Course), and PhD in 1975, all from the Department of Mechanical Engineering at MIT. He was appointed full professor with tenure at Duke University in 1984. He was awarded the J.A. Jones distinguished professorship in 1989.
He pioneered numerous original methods in science, such as the constructal law of design and evolution in nature,[non-primary source needed][non-primary source needed][non-primary source needed][non-primary source needed][non-primary source needed] entropy generation minimization,[non-primary source needed] scale analysis[non-primary source needed] of convection, heatlines and masslines, transition to turbulence, and designed porous media.[non-primary source needed]
- Duke Mechanical Engineering Faculty, Adrian Bejan's page.
- Bejan, Adrian (May 24, 2016). The Physics of Life: The Evolution of Everything. St. Martin's Press. ISBN 1250078822.
- Bejan, Adrian; Zane, J. Peder (2012). Design in Nature: How the Constructal Law Governs Evolution in Biology, Physics, Technology, and Social Organization. Double Day. ISBN 9780385534611.
- Lage, José L.; Anderson, Ren; Costa, Victor; et, al. (December 2008). "Professor Adrian Bejan on his 60th birthday". International Journal of Heat and Mass Transfer. 51 (25–26): 5759–5761. doi:10.1016/j.ijheatmasstransfer.2008.06.027.
- Federatia Romana de Baschet, -. "Adrian Bejan a realizat performanta in stiinta cu ajutorul baschetului!". Federatia Romana de Baschet. Retrieved 1 August 2015.
- A. Bejan and S. Lorente, Constructal law of design and evolution: Physics, biology, technology, and society, Journal of Applied Physics 113, 151301 (2013); doi:10.1063/1.4798429
- A. Bejan and S. Lorente, The constructal law and the thermodynamics of flow systems with configuration, Int. J. Heat Mass Transfer, 47, 2004, pp. 3203–3214. doi:10.1016/j.ijheatmasstransfer.2004.02.007.
- A. Bejan and S. Lorente, Constructal theory of generation of configuration in nature and engineering, J. Appl. Phys., 100, 2006, 041301. doi:10.1063/1.2221896.
- A. H. Reis, Constructal theory: from engineering to physics, and how flow systems develop shape and structure, Appl. Mech. Rev., 59, 2006, pp. 269–281. doi:10.1115/1.2204075.
- A. Bejan and S. Lorente, The constructal law of design and evolution in nature, Philosophical Transactions of the Royal Society B, 365, 2010, pp. 1335–1347.
- A. Bejan and S. Lorente, The Constructal law and the evolution of design in nature, Physics of Life Reviews, 8, 2011, pp. 209–240.
- A. Bejan, Advanced Engineering Thermodynamics, 3rd ed., Wiley, Hoboken, 2006.
- A. Bejan, Convection Heat Transfer, 4th ed., Wiley, Hoboken, 2013.
- D.A. Nield, A. Bejan, Convection in Porous Media, 4th ed., Springer, New York, 2013.
- Web of Knowledge "bejan number" (as of November 13, 2014).
||This article's use of external links may not follow Wikipedia's policies or guidelines. (February 2014) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)|
- on YouTube
- Through the Wormhole - Did God Create Evolution? - Constructal theory
- Why Every Snowflake is NOT Unique
- Duke University "Office Hours"
- Constructal Law web portal: publications, events, links, etc.
- Unified Physics Theory Explains Animals' Running, Flying And Swimming: Duke University article.
- Tree branching key to efficient flow in nature and novel materials, 
- Unifying The Animate And Inanimate Designs of Nature, 
- Why the golden ratio pleases the eye, The Guardian, UK, 
- Le secret de la beaute demystifiee, Le Devoir, Montreal, 
- Collaboration of soloists makes the best science, 
- Meet Adrian Bejan, North Carolina Public Radio 16 August 2010 (5 August 2012)