Adrian Bowyer in 2008.
|Alma mater||Imperial College|
|Known for||RepRap, Voronoi Diagram|
Born in 1952 in London, Bowyer is the older child of the late Rosemary and John Bowyer; the latter was a writer, painter and one of the founders of Zisman, Bowyer and Partners, consulting engineers. Bowyer was educated at Woodroffe School, Lyme Regis and Imperial College London.
In 1977 he joined the Mathematics Department at the University of Bath. Shortly after that he received a doctorate from Imperial College London for research in friction-induced vibration. Whilst working in the Mathematics Department he invented (at the same time as David Watson) the algorithm for computing Voronoi diagrams that bears their names (the Bowyer–Watson algorithm).
He then spent twenty-two years as a lecturer then senior lecturer in the Mechanical Engineering Department at the University of Bath. He retired from academic life in 2012, though he is still a director of the company RepRap Professional Ltd He invented the RepRap Project - an open-source self-replicating 3D printer. The Guardian said of this, "[RepRap] has been called the invention that will bring down global capitalism, start a second industrial revolution and save the environment..."
He is married to a retired schoolmistress. He and his wife have one adult daughter.
- http://www.zbp.co.uk/start.htm Zisman Bowyer partnership
- http://www.woodroffe.dorset.sch.uk/ Woodroffe School
- http://reprappro.com RepRapPro Ltd
- Put your feet up, Santa, the Christmas machine has arrived, James Randerson at The Guardian, 25 November 2006.
- Adrian Bowyer's home page
- Wealth Without Money, Adrian Bowyer at Medialab-Prado