Cronauer in 2006
8 September 1938 |
Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania, U.S.
Adrian Cronauer (born September 8, 1938) is a former United States Air Force sergeant and radio personality whose experiences as an innovative disc jockey in Vietnam inspired the 1987 film Good Morning, Vietnam (starring Robin Williams as Cronauer).
Background in radio
Cronauer was born in Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania. He began his broadcasting career at the age of 12 as a guest for a Pittsburgh-area children's amateur hour. He attended the University of Pittsburgh, where he helped found the forerunner of the university's college radio station WPTS.
Cronauer co-wrote the original story for the film Good Morning, Vietnam, which was based on his experiences as a Saigon-based DJ during the Vietnam War, where he served from 1965 to 1966. His program was known as the "Dawn Buster". A subsequent special program on National Public Radio about the role of the American Forces Vietnam Network (AFVN-military radio and television) earned Cronauer a 1992 Ohio State Award and two 1991 Gold Medals from the New York Radio Festival. Prior to getting stationed in Vietnam he was stationed on Iraklion Air Station Crete, Greece.
Cronauer attended the University of Pittsburgh where he led a group that founded the school's first student radio station, now WPTS-FM. He earned a master's degree in Media Studies from the New School for Social Research in New York City and a Juris Doctor degree from the University of Pennsylvania. Cronauer's law practice concentrated in information and communications law. Cronauer consented to disbarment in the District of Columbia in October, 2014 for reportedly misleading consumers through misrepresentations and deceptive and fraudulent loan modification and foreclosure prevention practices. He was also the head of an advertising agency. Later he worked as a special assistant to the Director of the Defense Prisoner of War/Missing Personnel Office.
- Adrian Cronauer biography accessed 5/27/2015
- Jim Barthold (March 1, 2005), The real life of Adrian Cronauer, Urgent Communications, archived from the original on 2012-05-09, retrieved 2013-01-13
- Adrian Cronauer: Air Force Radio Announcer in Vietnam at HistoryNet.com
- Famous and Prominent Mensans
- Film & History: An Interdisciplinary Journal of Film and Television Studies 34.1 (2004) 10-11
- "Pitt's New Radio Station". Skyscraper Engineer (Schools of Engineering and Mines, University of Pittsburgh) 8 (3): 16–17. January 1959. Retrieved May 26, 2014.
- ""Good Morning, Vietnam's" Adrian Cronauer speaks to reservists". United States Air Force. 2008-04-11. Retrieved 2009-06-28[dead link]. Check date values in:
- Adrian Cronauer is Conference Speaker!
- Prominent Mensans