Adrian Matejka (born in Nuremberg, Germany) is an African-American poet. He graduated from Southern Illinois University Carbondale with an MFA in Creative Writing. He has received fellowships from the Cave Canem Workshop, the Guggenheim Foundation, the Lannan Foundation, and United States Artists. His most recent book of poetry, The Big Smoke, was published by Penguin in 2013 and is about Jack Johnson. It was a finalist for the 2013 National Book Award  and the 2014 Pulitzer Prize and won an Anisfield-Wolf Book Award. His work has appeared in literary journals and magazines including American Poetry Review, Callaloo, Crab Orchard Review, Gulf Coast, Indiana Review, Poetry, Ploughshares, Prairie Schooner, and in anthologies including From the Fishouse (Persea Books, 2009)  and The Best American Poetry 2010 (Scribner, 2010). He teaches literature and creative writing at Indiana University. He lives in Bloomington, Indiana with his wife, poet Stacey Lynn Brown, and their daughter.
Honors and awards
- 2015 United States Artists Simon Fellowship
- 2014 Lannan Literary Fellowship
- 2014 Guggenheim Fellowship
- 2014 Anisfield-Wolf Award
- 2014 Pulitzer Prize, Finalist
- 2013 National Book Award, Finalist
- 2011 Lannan Foundation Residency Fellowship
- 2009 Illinois Arts Council 
- 2008 National Poetry Series
- 2002 New York / New England Award
Full-Length Poetry Collections
- The Big Smoke. Penguin Group USA. 2013. ISBN 978-0-143-12372-9.
- Mixology. Penguin Group USA. 2009. ISBN 978-0-14-311583-0.
- The Devil's Garden. Alice James Books. 2003. ISBN 978-1-882295-41-8.
- All Green
- "2013 National Book Award". Nationalbook.org. 2013-11-20. Retrieved 2014-07-27.
- "Persea Books Website > "From the Fishouse Book Page". Perseabooks.com. Retrieved 2014-07-27.
- "The Best American Poetry 2010, Guest Edited by Amy Gerstler". Bestamericanpoetry.com. Retrieved 2014-07-27.
- "Faculty: Creative Writing Program: Indiana University". Iub.edu. Retrieved 2014-07-27.
- "Illinois Arts Council Agency". State.il.us. Retrieved 2014-07-27.
- Toi Derricotte, Cornelius Eady, Camille T. Dungy, eds. (2006). "Understanding Al Green". Gathering ground: a reader celebrating Cave Canem's first decade. University of Michigan Press. ISBN 978-0-472-06924-8.
- Official website
- Indiana University faculty website
- "Adrian Matejka", Fishouse
- "Adrian Matejka", Prairie.org
- "Episode 7: Mixology", A Cup of Poetry
- "Want List", Shampoo 12, June 2002
- "Postlude", Perihelion
- "Equality", Sou'wester
- "Wheels of Steel", Prairie Schooner, Spring 2009
- "Looking for The Cantos in Texas (excerpt)" Poetry Society of America
- "Language Mixology" Verse Daily
- "Do The Right Thing," "Flight Reflex" Poetry Daily
|This American poet–related article is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|