Adrian Newman (bishop)
|The Right Reverend
|area Bishop of Stepney|
|Church||Church of England|
|Diocese||Diocese of London|
|Other posts||Dean of Rochester (2004–2011)|
|Consecration||22 July 2011|
|Born||21 December 1958|
|Spouse||Gillian (née Hayes)|
|Alma mater||University of Bristol
Trinity College, Bristol
Early life and education
Newman was born on 21 December 1958 to John Henry Newman and Ruth Doreen Newman. He was educated at Rickmansworth School, a comprehensive school in Rickmansworth, Hertfordshire. He studied at the economics at the University of Bristol, graduating with a Bachelor of Science (BSc) degree in 1980. He then worked as an economist.
In 1982, Newman entered Trinity College, Bristol, an Evangelical Anglican theological college, to train for ordained ministry. Having studied theology during this time, he completed a Diploma of Higher Education (DipHE) in 1985. He left theological college in 1985 to be ordained in the Church of England, but continued his theological studies and completed a Master of Philosophy (MPhil) degree in 1989.
Newman was ordained in the Church of England as a deacon in 1985 and as a priest in 1986. From 1985 to 1989, he served his curacy at St Mark's Church, Forest Gate in the Diocese of Chelmsford. Then, from 1989 to 1996, he was Vicar of Christ Church, Wadsley Bridge and Hillsborough in the Diocese of Sheffield. He was also Area Dean of Hallam from 1994 to 1996. From 1996 to 2004, he was Rector of St Martin in the Bull Ring in the Diocese of Birmingham. In 2005, he was appointed the Dean of Rochester; this made him the head of the chapter of Rochester Cathedral and the most senior priest in the Diocese of Rochester.
On 22 March 2011, it was announced that Newman would succeed Stephen Oliver as Bishop of Stepney, an area bishop of the Diocese of London. On 22 July 2011, he was consecrated as a bishop in St Paul's Cathedral by Richard Chartres, Bishop of London.
- The Reverend Adrian Newman (1986–2004)
- The Very Reverend Adrian Newman (2004–2011)
- The Right Reverend Adrian Newman (2011–present)
- Medway Messenger
- Crockford's Clerical Directory 2008/2009, Lambeth, Church House Publishing, ISBN 978-0-7151-1030-0
- Who's Who 2008: London, A & C Black, ISBN 978-0-7136-8555-8
- "The Rt Revd Adrian Newman". Directory. Diocese of London. Retrieved 11 February 2017.
- "STEPNEY, Area Bishop of,". Who's Who 2017. Oxford University Press. November 2017. Retrieved 11 February 2017.
- Crockford's Clerical Directory (online ed.). Church House Publishing. Retrieved 11 February 2017..
- St Mark's Forest Gate website
- St Martin-in-the-Bullring website
- Number 10 — Suffragan Bishop of Stepney
- Quentin Letts, Daily Mail
- Diocese of London – Adrian Newman consecrated at St Paul's Cathedral Archived August 8, 2011, at the Wayback Machine.
- "www.canterbury.ac.uk". Archived from the original on 2012-04-06.