Life and career
Wooldridge was educated at Balliol College, Oxford, where he studied modern history and was awarded a fellowship at All Souls College, also at Oxford University, where he received a doctorate in philosophy in 1985. From 1984 to 1985, he was also a Harkness Fellow, at the University of California at Berkeley.
Wooldridge worked at The Economist weekly British newspaper for more than 20 years. As of July 2009, he was The Economist's Washington Bureau chief and the "Lexington" columnist, and was the "Schumpeter" columnist (business, finance and management) until the end of 2016. As of June 2021, he was The Economist's political editor and "Bagehot" columnist, which was described as "an analysis of British life and politics, in the tradition of Walter Bagehot".
- Wooldridge, Adrian (1994). Measuring the mind : education and psychology in England c.1860-1990. Cambridge: Cambridge University Press.
- — (18 April 2015). "Family companies". Special Report. The Economist. 415 (8934).
- — (18 April 2015). "A very British business : some lessons from the success of Britain's elite private schools". Schumpeter. The Economist. 415 (8934): 56.
- Greenspan, Alan; Wooldridge, Adrian (2018). Capitalism in America: A History. New York: Penguin Press.
- The Aristocracy of Talent: How Meritocracy Made the Modern World (2021)
Co-wrote (with John Micklethwait):
- The Witch Doctors: Making Sense of the Management Gurus (1996)
- A Future Perfect: The Challenge and Promise of Globalization (2000)
- The Company: A Short History of a Revolutionary Idea (2003)
- The Right Nation: Conservative Power in America (2004)
- God is Back: How the Global Revival of Faith Is Changing the World (2009)
- The Fourth Revolution: The Global Race to Reinvent the State (2014)
- The Wake-Up Call: Why the Pandemic Has Exposed the Weakness of the West, and How to Fix It (2020)
- "Adrian Wooldridge - Bloomberg". Bloomberg Opinion. Retrieved 27 April 2022.
- "Speaker profile at Leigh Bureau". Archived from the original on 28 October 2012. Retrieved 17 August 2008.
- Roush, Chris (1 September 2021). "Bloomberg Opinion hires Wooldridge as global business columnist". Talking Biz News. Retrieved 27 April 2022.
- Rajan, Amol (19 December 2016). "New Bagehot columnist for the Economist". BBC News. Retrieved 29 October 2021.
- "Adrian Wooldridge". The Economist. Retrieved 19 June 2021.
- "What can Britain today learn from Walter Bagehot?". The Economist. 3 January 2020. Retrieved 19 June 2021.
- The Economist often changes the title of a print article when it is published online. This article is titled "To those that have" online.
- "UCLA Anderson School of Management Announces 2017 Gerald Loeb Award Winners". UCLA Anderson School of Management. 27 June 2017. Retrieved 31 January 2019.
- Journalist profile at Bloomberg Opinion
- Adrian Wooldridge's final Lexington column
- Appearances on C-SPAN