Adriatic LNG terminal
The Adriatic LNG terminal is a liquid natural gas offshore terminal, formally known as Terminale GNL Adriatico Srl. Located in the northern Adriatic 9 miles (14 km) offshore of Porto Viro, in Porto Levante, near Rovigo, Italy, it is the world's first offshore gravity-based structure LNG regasification terminal. The terminal is operated by Qatar Terminal Ltd., a subsidiary of Qatar Petroleum, ExxonMobil Italiana Gas, and Edison SpA. The terminal is 47-metre (154 ft) high, 88-metre (289 ft) wide, and 180-metre (590 ft) long.
The terminal facility was built in Algeciras, Spain, then towed to Porto Levante, Italy. Construction started in October 2003 and finished in August 2008. The LNG tanks were constructed in South Korea. The pipeline that connects to the terminal is located south of the Levante Po River mouth near Scanno Cavallari.
After construction was completed in Algeciras, the rig was towed by four tugboats to its current location off the coast of Rovigo. The flotilla traveled the 1,700 nautical miles (3,100 km; 2,000 mi) in 16 days to reach the site. It traveled at an average speed of 4.4 knots (8.1 km/h; 5.1 mph). When it arrived, the terminal was weighted down by water to ensure it was permanently positioned on the seabed.
Operations started in the mid of 2009. It received its first cargo on 11 August 2009. When fully operational, it is expected to store and regasify 8 billion cubic metres (280 billion cubic feet) of natural gas per year, enough to meet 10% of Italy's natural gas needs. The terminal will receive a LNG carrier every three days from Qatar. The gas will then be regasified and will be sent to the Italian gas network by a pipeline from the terminal to the coast.
- "See "Our History"".
- "Offshore LNG terminal moved to Adriatic off Italy". Oil & Gas Journal. PennWell Corp. 2008-09-23. Retrieved 2008-10-05.
- "Edison: First Offshore Regasification Plant In The World Lands To Italy" (Press release). Edison S.p.A. 2008-09-20. Retrieved 2011-08-21.
- "Adriatic LNG Terminal Project". Retrieved 2008-10-05.
- "Technical features". Adriatic LNG. Retrieved 2008-10-07.
- name=ogj110809> Watkins, Eric (2009-08-11). "Adriatic LNG receives first cargo". Oil & Gas Journal. 107. PennWell Corp. (subscription required). Retrieved 2009-08-12.