|Born||February 10, 1906|
Fort Smith, Arkansas, United States
|Died||December 3, 2002 (aged 96)|
|Education||University of Missouri, American School of Design|
|Known for||Illustration and artist|
|Awards||Caldecott Medal (1960), Caldecott Medal (1962), Rutgers Award (1973), The University of Southern Mississippi Medallion (1977)|
Adrienne Adams (February 10, 1906 – December 3, 2002) was a children's book illustrator as well as an artist and author of children's books. She won two Caldecott Honors (in 1960 and 1962) and in 1973 she was awarded the Rutgers Award for overall contributions to children’s literature. In 1977, she won a University of Southern Mississippi Medallion.
Life and career
She was born in Fort Smith, Arkansas, and grew up in Oklahoma. She obtained a B.A. at Stephens College (which awarded her the Alumnae Achievement Award in 1964) and then attended the University of Missouri. She also was awarded the University of Southern Mississippi's Medallion in 1977.
She moved to New York in 1929 to study at the American School of Design and until 1949 she was a free-lance designer of displays, murals, textiles, greeting cards, etc. She married children's book writer John Lonzo Anderson in 1935 and in 1942 illustrated one of his books, Bag of Smoke, to begin her career as an illustrator. She became a full-time illustrator in 1952, and all told she illustrated more than 30 books, ranging from contemporary authors like Rumer Godden, Irwin Shapiro and Aileen Fisher to the fairy tales of Hans Christian Andersen and the Brothers Grimm. Adams also wrote six children books of her own as well as self-illustrated these books.
- 1957 - The Easter Bunny That Overslept by Priscilla and Otto Friedrich (publ. Lothrop, Lee & Shepard)
- 1958 - The Story of Holly and Ivy by Rumer Godden (publ. Scribner)
- 1959 - Houses from the Sea by Alice E. Goudey (publ. Scribner) - Winner of Caldecott Honor 1960
- 1960 - The Shoemaker and the Elves by Grimm (publ. Scribner) - ALA Notable Book
- 1961 - The Day We Saw the Sun Come Up by Alice E .Goudey (publ. Scribner) - Winner of Caldecott Honor 1960
- 1961 - Thumbelina by Hans Christian Andersen (publ. Scribner) - ALA Notable Book
- 1963 - Bring a Torch, Jeannette, Isabella by W. Saboly (publ. Scribner) - ALA Notable Book
- 1964 - Snow White and Rose Red by the brothers Grimm (publ. Scribner)
- 1968 - Jorinde and Joringel by Grimm (publ. Scribner) - ALA Notable Book
- 1971- A Woggle of Witches by Adrienne Adams (publ. Scribner)
- 1973 - Twice Upon a Time by Irwin Shapiro 9pib. Xerox Family Education)
- 1975 - Hansel and Gretel by Brothers Grimm (publ. Scribner's Sons)
- 1977 - The River Bank from The Wind in the Willows by Kenneth Grahame (publ. Scribner's Sons)
- 1978 - The Christmas Party (publ. Scribner's Sons)
- 1980 - The Great Valentine's Day Balloon Race (publ. Aladdin books)
- 1981 - A Halloween Happening (publ. Scribner's Sons)
- 1983 - The Easter Bunny That Overslept by Otto Friedrich (publ. Lothrop, Lee & Shepard) - revised illustrations by Adams
- Something About the Author, vol. 8, pp. 1–2.
- Illustrators of Children's Books: 1957-1966, 1968, pp. 70–71.
- Contemporary Authors: New Revision Series, vol. 1, pp. 9–10.
- Adrienne "Dean" Adams Anderson (1906 - 2002) - Find A Grave Memorial
- "Adrienne Adams Papers". de Grummond Collections. McCain Library and Archives University Libraries. Retrieved 9 December 2013.