Adult-onset immunodeficiency syndrome
This article has multiple issues. Please help improve it or discuss these issues on the talk page. (Learn how and when to remove these template messages)(Learn how and when to remove this template message)
Adult-onset immunodeficiency syndrome is a provisional name for a newly diagnosed immunodeficiency illness. The name is proposed in the first public study to identify the syndrome. It appears to be chronic and non-contagious, affecting mainly people of Asian descent aged around 50. Cases first started appearing in 2004, primarily in Thailand and Taiwan.
Signs and symptoms
Little is publicly known about the underlying factors causing the disease. Genetic factors are suspected, but the disease does not appear to be heritable. Also, something in the environment may trigger the disease.
Society and culture
- Browne, S. K.; Burbelo, P. D.; Chetchotisakd, P.; Suputtamongkol, Y.; Kiertiburanakul, S.; Shaw, P. A.; Kirk, J. L.; Jutivorakool, K.; Zaman, R.; Ding, L.; Hsu, A. P.; Patel, S. Y.; Olivier, K. N.; Lulitanond, V.; Mootsikapun, P.; Anunnatsiri, S.; Angkasekwinai, N.; Sathapatayavongs, B.; Hsueh, P. R.; Shieh, C. C.; Brown, M. R.; Thongnoppakhun, W.; Claypool, R.; Sampaio, E. P.; Thepthai, C.; Waywa, D.; Dacombe, C.; Reizes, Y.; Zelazny, A. M.; Saleeb, P. (2012). "Adult-Onset Immunodeficiency in Thailand and Taiwan". New England Journal of Medicine. 367 (8): 725–734. doi:10.1056/NEJMoa1111160. PMID 22913682.
- Marilynn Marchione (2012-08-22). "New immune-system disease found in Asians; causes AIDS-like symptoms in people without HIV". The Washington Post. Retrieved 26 August 2012.
- "New AIDS-like mystery disease". The Voice of Russia. 2012-08-22. Retrieved 26 August 2012.
- "AIDS 2.0: Highly contagious disease spreading in China". The Swash. 2012-08-22. Retrieved 26 August 2012.
- Kent Sepkowitz (2012-08-22). "New Thai-Taiwanese Syndrome Is Not AIDS 2.0". The Daily Beast. Retrieved 26 August 2012.
|This article about a disease, disorder, or medical condition is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|