Advance America (formerly Citizens Concerned for the Constitution) is a conservative political advocacy group in the U.S. state of Indiana. Advance America claims that it is a "non-partisan tax exempt, educational organization." It claims affiliation with approximately 4,000 Indiana churches, nearly one third of all churches in the state of Indiana.
History and governance
Advance America was founded in 1980 by Eric Miller, an attorney from Indianapolis, with the help of ten other people. It shares space and employees with Miller's law office. It is governed by a seven member board of directors consisting entirely of pastors.
Advance America publishes an annual voter's guide informing voters of the stance of various candidates for local office on issues Advance America is concerned about. These voter guides are distributed primarily through mail, e-mail, and churches.
Advance America attempts to keep people informed about what bills and issues the state legislature is considering through mailings, e-mails, voting record summaries, pastor and citizen briefings, and speaking engagements (frequently in churches).
Advance America claims that their staff reviews each bill to come before the state legislature. They testify before legislative committees, talk to legislators, draft amendments and bills, and mobilize the public to contact legislators.
Advance America regularly campaigns for issues that they perceive affect the family and religious freedom. They supported the controversial Indiana Religious Freedom Restoration Act as well as pushing to uphold the state's same sex marriage ban. They have opposed legislation permitting transgender persons to use the bathroom of their choice. They have opposed extending regulations on daycares to include those daycares run by churches.
- Indiana gubernatorial election, 2004 - where Eric Miller ran in the Republican primary
- "About Us". Advance America. Retrieved 29 September 2016.
- McPhee, Laura (7 March 2007). "Evangelical Lobbyist Eric Miller: The Most Powerful Man in the Indiana Statehouse". Nuvo. Retrieved 29 September 2016.
- Schneider, Mary; King, Robert (20 January 2014). "Day care reform opponent wields clout". Indianapolis Star. Gannett. Retrieved 29 September 2016.
- "Get Your 2016 Voter Guides". Advance America. Retrieved 29 September 2016.
- "Is The Gig Up On Eric Miller's "Nonpartisan" Voter Guides?". Advance Indiana™. Retrieved 29 September 2016.
- Morrison, Aaron (1 April 2015). "Meet The Christian Group Behind Indiana's Religious Freedom Bill: Eric Miller, Advance America Have National Conservative Supporters". International Business Times. Retrieved 29 September 2016.
- Ball, Carol (11 March 2016). "Religious leaders oppose LGBT protections at community meeting". Kokomo Tribune. Retrieved 29 September 2016.
- Wang, Stephanie (26 December 2015). "Bathroom politics amp up LGBT rights debate". Indianapolis Star. Gannett. Retrieved 29 September 2016.