Advance Passenger Information System
APIS governs the provision of a limited number of data elements (identification details from the passport and basic flight information) from commercial airline and vessel operators to the computer system of the destination state. Required information should conform to specifications for UN/EDIFACT Passenger List Message (PAXLST) formats.
Beginning in May 2009, private aircraft pilots must also provide the necessary information to the CBP. The regulations were put into effect in December 2008 with a 180-day voluntary compliance period.
When travelling to or from certain countries, passengers are required to provide advance passenger information (API) before they check in or they will be unable to fly. These countries include
- Costa Rica
- Dominican Republic
- Republic of Korea
- Russian Federation
- Saint Lucia
- Spain (except for Schengen zone passengers)
- Trinidad & Tobago
- United Kingdom
- United States
and some more
- Full name (last name, first name, middle name if applicable)
- Date of birth
- Country of residence
- Travel document type (normally passport)
- Travel document number (expiry date and country of issue for passport)
- [For travellers to the US] Address of the first night spent in the US (not required for US nationals, legal permanent residents, or alien residents of the US entering the US)
- Advance Passenger Information System (APIS) – US Customs and Border Protection
- US Customs and Border Protection Archived August 14, 2013, at the Wayback Machine.
- ICAO Facilitation Section: Advance Passenger Information (API)
- FAL-12-WP-15 FACILITATION (FAL) DIVISION — TWELFTH SESSION Cairo, Egypt, 22 March to 2 April 2004 Agenda Item 2 Archived 12 November 2013 at the Wayback Machine.
- "Archived copy". Archived from the original on 2012-03-03. Retrieved 2013-11-12.
- "Archived copy". Archived from the original on 2012-10-30. Retrieved 2013-11-12.
- eAPIS Archived October 15, 2011, at the Wayback Machine.
- aircanada.com – Travel Info – Advance Passenger Information
- Which countries require Advanced Passenger Information? - FAQ (Air France, read 2018-03-09)
- Advance information about passengers (Iberia, read 2018-03-09)
- A.P.I.(Advanced Passenger Information|ANA