Advanzia Bank S.A was established in Luxembourg in 2005 subject to CSSF supervision, specializing in no-fee credit cards and euro savings accounts. The bank was established as a result of the former Founding Management of Bankia Bank seeking to establish an EU-based bank. This was accomplished with the previously largest shareholder of Bankia Bank, Kistefos, becoming the largest shareholder of Advanzia Bank. Tor Erland Fyksen, Jan Grenth, and Eirik Holtedahl have together with Dr. Thomas Schlieper set up the bank, which has quickly become the largest issuer of international credit cards in Germany.
Under the umbrella of European cross border banking regulations, Advanzia caters primarily to Luxembourgish, German, Austrian, Spanish and French clients. Within its first year of operations, the bank had become the largest Luxembourgish issuer of credit cards. Within two years of operations (2008), Advanzia had become the largest credit card provider in Germany in terms of transactions turnover value with its product Gebührenfrei MasterCard Gold, despite a general decline in the credit card market.
The bank made its first profits in 2009, with the 2008 financial crisis being a significant contributor to lowering funding costs. The current CEO is the Swiss citizen Roland Ludwig (since 2017). 
94% of the bank's credit card clients were located in Germany as of March 2017.
- "Payment Cards in Germany" (PDF). Datamonitor/MarketPublishers.com. June 2010. Archived from the original (PDF) on 14 December 2013. Retrieved 18 October 2016.
- "Payment Cards in Germany". Datamonitor. July 2011. Archived from the original on 14 December 2013. Retrieved 18 October 2016.
- "Zinshistorie zum Advanziakonto der Advanzia Bank S. A". Modern-banking.de. Retrieved 2013-10-02.
- Roland Ludwig wird Nachfolger von Marc Hentgen als CEO der Advanzia Bank
- "Investor Relations - Facts and Figures". Advanzia Bank. Retrieved 2017-06-30.
- "Luxembourg Banks - Insights 2014" (PDF). KPMG. July 23, 2014. Retrieved July 23, 2014.
- "Q1 2017 Report". Advanzia. May 11, 2017. Retrieved July 1, 2017.